New to me Expy, already having problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Glenn you need to get a handle on if it's a cam sensor or something more serious. Problem is with almost all used car purchases your on your own. Shame you didn't have a mechanic check it out before you bought it. Hope you got it cheap enough. Well you or another mechanic that knows this SUV will hopefully get it figured out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
Glenn you need to get a handle on if it's a cam sensor or something more serious. Problem is with almost all used car purchases your on your own. Shame you didn't have a mechanic check it out before you bought it. Hope you got it cheap enough. Well you or another mechanic that knows this SUV will hopefully get it figured out.

That's part of the problem. The truck was in a town where I used to live, so we had my old mechanic look it over and replace the rear diff. I trusted that he would give it a thorough once-over. Unfortunately he kept having to delay it and push it back, until finally he just did the rear diff and that was it. I drove it home with the ABS light on and a squeak coming from the engine. Was not happy about it, so I have not gone back to him. Instead took it to the local guy I use where I live now, and it hasn't gone much better sad to say.

Glenn

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This isn't an insult, get the Ford Service Manual and read up on how these systems operate. Then you will be able to narrow down what is happening. There are plenty of members on here that will be more than willing to help on the theory.

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
This isn't an insult, get the Ford Service Manual and read up on how these systems operate. Then you will be able to narrow down what is happening. There are plenty of members on here that will be more than willing to help on the theory.

Also in the plan. As I said at the start of this thread - I am no mechanic, but I do like to know as much as possible about what I am riding (I have service manuals for my ST-1300) but given the timing and how we kinda need the truck so we can move to a new house next week, I wanted someone who already knew what they were doing to look at it. You can all see how that is working out for me...

I suggested he check the oil pressure, between that and Ford's advice he is replacing two solenoids related to oil pressure near the timing chain. Fingers crossed that it's nailed this time.

I do appreciate the suggestions and support I have received here.

Glenn

pkuchirka

Reaction score
I had a 2004 F150. I also had those codes come up, and had the cam phasers changed and was then told it was the timing chain. The 3v 5.4l motor usually needs timing chain work anywhere between 200k to 300K kilometers. Allot of people also had these issues with that 3v. I could be wrong I hope I am cause that's costly to fix

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

pkuchirka

Reaction score
I would also rather spend $10,000 on a used one and get a great vehicle then to spend $70,000 on a new one.

pkuchirka

Reaction score
Also, the longer my f150 ran and warmed it, the truck started shaking, wanted to stall. I really do think you should consider timing chain fix before you spend thousands on repairs you don't need.. I'd be pissed off like I was when mechanics made me do 1500$ of work the say they wanted 1800$ for timing chain. It's hard to find a mechanic you can trust... I love my 2003 expedition with the 2v.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Cam phaser problems are pretty common. Check YouTube for some video that describe the symptoms.

OP
OP
G

Glenn B

Reaction score
I had a 2004 F150. I also had those codes come up, and had the cam phasers changed and was then told it was the timing chain. The 3v 5.4l motor usually needs timing chain work anywhere between 200k to 300K kilometers. Allot of people also had these issues with that 3v. I could be wrong I hope I am cause that's costly to fix

This is exactly what it's doing. I get some laboring around 40mph, and stalling when stopping. He's trying the cheap repairs first before jumping right into the timing chain. It's only at 188k so with luck I can shove off the timing chain work until later. Fingers crossed.

Glenn