New to towing a travel trailer

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

paparobin63

Reaction score
gotta 2008 xlt with 130k on it..not sure I should start towing with it but Is 6800k to much for my old girl or am I cool with the new Rockwood Ultra travel trailer, The manual indicates I can go as high as 9200k but really don't want to go that high. Any suggestion My Expedition Brothers and Sisters

JasonH

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Download the towing guide and check your axle codes. It will tell you what max weight is.

mr_dave

Full Access Members
Reaction score
First off, do you have HD tow package? That's the only way to get the 9200lb rating. I would not attempt to tow that trailer without the HD towing package.

Assuming you do have HD tow, you will also want a weight distributing hitch. There are MANY threads on this topic already.

The other things to be concerned about are the payload (as mentioned above) and the frontal area of the trailer - see https://images.dealercarsearch.com/dealerimages/4342/24459/2008fordtowingguide.pdf

bruce nolen

Reaction score
May wish to invest in a load distribution hitch or at least an anti-sway bar. Air up all tires on both trailer and Expedition to their maximum rated psi. Use the tow/haul setting on your transmisson. And definitely connect and adjust your electric brakes setting to where when going forward less than 20mph you can sense the trailer brakes engaging almost like before the vehicle brakes. Do all this along with checking fluid levels (coolent, oil and brakes) and enjoy your trips. I personally tow between 55 -65 mph on hwy. You can expect to get about a 50% drop in mpg when towing your particular camper. The slower you pull, the better the mpg. Try to brake slowly and allow more space than you do when not towing. On severe declines down a mountain, learn to use shifting to lower gears to control your speed without relying on brakes only. And remember to periodically add needed grease to trailer wheel bearings. Enjoy!

JVinOlathe

Reaction score
First, I assume that by 6,800k you mean 6,800 lbs, right?
Next, the 9,200 lb towing capacity is a missleading number. First, you must have the HD towing package, you must have a trailer brake controller, you must use load rated tires, you must have the proper tongue load, you must have a load distributing hitch and you must not be carrying any load or passengers.
A quick rule of thumb is to take the maximum allowable towing load, as indicated by the door tag, and use 80% of that capacity. Keep in mind that if you exceed these limits and have an accident, your insurance company will have grounds to reject any claim and you can be criminally charged as well.
Here is a link to a great video that gives you a real good explanation of the towing capacity...