New to us 2000 Expy Eddie Bauer with 5.4L misc issues. Advice please.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As far as your dimmer/thumb wheel switch, you can pull plug, and switch, much easier that way, connect leads of ohm meter using helper alligator clips, set ohm meter on highest setting, rotate thumb wheel, observe meter. At brightest point on switch your reading should be at its highest, probably above 10k ohms, as you dim thumb wheel down, the ohms should drop down smoothly. It's basically like a volume control, on any electronics device, designed to raise and lower current. With power and ground hooked to it, at its highest would be 12volts, dropping down as you rotate thumb wheel. Theirs videos on you tube showing how. Report what you find. Any time you convert air springs to coil spring's, you've got to tell the computer. You were lucky, you just had to flip a switch!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

Joseph3

Reaction score
Welcome to the EB 2000 5.4l club. I just got here too. If I had a Chilton or Haynes manual I'd check the wiring diagrams and see which wire feeds the light. Did all EBs come with air suspension, or was it an option? Mine looks pretty normal with regular shocks (which I need to replace, but that is another thread...)

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Save your money buying clymers or Haynes manuals. They cover too many vehicles and don't give you the info you need. Buy a factory Ford CD online, their cheap enough and cover your vehicle. As to your question, about suspension, my 2000 4x4 uses torsion bar front springs, rear is standard coil spring's. 4 shocks on all corners. Some of our other members do have air springs in rear, and struts/ springs up front.

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

OP
OP
D

DWhitley

Reaction score
Update:

Unfortunately my job is busiest when the weather is decent to tinker on the Ol' Gal. So since we are at the beginning of winter I am finally getting to some items I have been waiting to get done. Since we bought the Expy we have loved it. Been lucky that it is actually a pretty solid vehicle. I have gotten around to replacing all the fluids (so I know conditions of systems and an accurate age now). Suspension light came back on again so finally just removed the bulb. Had to do the odometer display fix. The sunroof has failed again, but this time both sides the rods are hopelessly bent (hoping a pick-and-pull trip will net a decent set of replacement parts). One door actuator is lazy. And I still haven't gotten to the Parking Assist Sensors. Honestly, I'd rather just disable the system if possible. Had to replace the cruise control brake sensor after started leaking significantly. Did replace the plugs without trouble and cleaned up the sensors in air intake as well as cleaning the throttle body. Fuel mileage still sucks, but I have a decent guess it is related to a persistent code without MIL illuminating. It is not competing a drive cycle for emissions readiness test. Think it is due to a speed sensor which threads seem to support the rear diff sensor being the culprit. Oddly, when I monitor the sensors in Forscan, they all are close to identical, but all 3 slightly different. I expect that to be the case due to turns and such.

I took some time to play a bit as well. Swapped headlight bulbs to LED, installed a QD for battery maintainer, installed a satellite radio unit, added some ambient LED lights, added a secondary fuse block for accessories with each circuit utilizing relays for automatic power off when key turned off to protect the battery. Most recently replaced the head unit to an Android system with GPS, Video, USB ports, 2-way Mirror Link and reverse camera. This winter I am hoping to repaint the interior to clean it up and get rid of the flaking original color. Also plan the repaint the rims a two tone metallic to carry the color motif the wife wants. Want to change out the fog bulbs to LED and do the switch wire patch to have the fog lights operate with the Auto Headlights which helps tremendously with avoiding deer out here. Next immediate mod will be turning instrument cluster lights to red LEDs. Also I must have reversed the wiring for the driver rear speaker since it is not working.

Other than that the only pain in my side is the dash cup holder was missing one slide rail. As I am on VA disability I dont want to fork out over $100 for a new assembly. Anyone have success with fabricating their own slide for theirs? Open to ideas for best field repair.

Last on my lost is to dress the engine bay out. That will be a long process as I want it all to be braided lines color coded to each system. Then give the girl an new paint makeover. By that time she will be styling and turning heads more than she does now. I have to say the boards here have been outstanding. Thank you all for the high caliber of information that has been insanely accurate all the time. Best boards I have ever seen for that. You all are awesome and I appreciate it.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk