newer Exp head\nav unit into a 1st Gen

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

marcbeaudry

Reaction score
looking at the possibility of installing a factory head\Nav unit from an 03 KingRanch Exp into my 98 XLT -
will it plug and play ? as well as keep the rear console controls functional ?
has anyone done this before ?

i dont want to give anyone a reason to break a window to steal crap out of my vehicle - but i sure would like to upgrade from the indash cassette player.

thoughts- comments, observations and bad jokes always appreciated.

marc

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
not sure if it will work pnp only...im sure you will need to do extra wiring and play with harnesses...dont quote me

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
you can put a double diin cd/mp3/dvd/nav/bt in there

oblivion

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It is definetly not plug and play. Both in the dash opening and the wiring. Unless your getting it free I wouldnt do it

workman8505

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would agree with oblivion. I looked at that option when I before I started my 19in install the wiring alone was a real pita and not much info out there for it on top of that the navigation system is fairly integrated I believe the GPS antenna is somewhere else I don't remember but its not in the unit. Once again if i remember correctly

Not that I want to dash your hopes and dreams man I would love to see you do it I just don't think it'll be as easy as plugging it in. I would start by getting a pin out of both units as well as the harnesses there is also the amps on these trucks the stock head units that have the amp separate I don't think work without it this is speculation on part seems like it would be redundant for ford to put a amp on top of a amp know what I mean.

Hope this helps and if it is what you want nothing is impossible just more difficult than others.