No instrument cluster illumination

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Somehow lucked out and the local Napa just happened to have 11 #74 bulbs on hand, I will report back if it worked or not.
Edit- that was a fail. The supposedly #74 bulbs they had are as big as the old bulb and socket combined. Back to the drawing board...

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Another update, found my service manual DVD and started digging deeper. Per the manual one of the tests is to measure the voltage between the instrument cluster C220a-6, circuit 19 (LB/RD), harness side and ground. I did that and got nothing, the diagnostic is "repair circuit." So... where to begin? Remember this all started just from taking the cluster out and putting it back in, no other wiring or anything else has changed.

OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Final update... on a whim I bought 20 LED bulbs off Ebay for $7.79 shipped on Saturday and they arrived today, pulled the dash apart AGAIN, replaced all the bulbs and voila... everything works now.
Now if I could just get the CD changer in this car to work after multiple attempts to fix it...

OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
New issue if anyone is still following... turn signals work on the outside just fine but no indicator lights in the dash using either the turn signals or the hazards. Any suggestions on this one?

OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Try some leds, you seem to be on a roll with them....
All the bulbs in the twist-lock plugs have been replaced with LED's already. I may try the incandescent bulbs in the turn signal spots to see if they come back.
Not one thing I've done to this car has been easy, it's really starting to wear me out!

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Doesn't the LED's fit in where the bulb for turn signals etc is? Might as well make it a permanent fix with LED's, there's no way of knowing how long an old incandescent bulb will work.. :)

BTW, which LED's did you get?

OP
OP
S

superduty4x4

Reaction score
Doesn't the LED's fit in where the bulb for turn signals etc is? Might as well make it a permanent fix with LED's, there's no way of knowing how long an old incandescent bulb will work.. :)

BTW, which LED's did you get?
All 11 bulbs in the twist lock plugs were replaced with LED's. Turn signal indicators, high beam indicator, and cruise control indicator are not working. Could someone do me a favor and take a picture of their cluster in test mode with all the indicators lit up so I can see what else might not be working?

Here are the LED's I bought- 20 x T5 Wedge 5050 1 SMD LED Dashboard Instrument Panel Light 74 86 37 70 2721 | eBay. Ordered early evening on a Saturday, arrived on Monday.

Mr B

Reaction score
Dash lights and Odometer not working

Odometer works only occasionaly and the dash lights are completly out on my 1999 Exp
Any sugestions for repar procedures ?

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Odometer works only occasionaly and the dash lights are completly out on my 1999 Exp
Any sugestions for repar procedures ?

You should start a new thread for your problem The OP's problem was for a 2nd gen expy your 1999 is a 1st gen