No Limited Slip Rear End?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HarryM

Reaction score
I looked up the build sheet for my expedition today and was surprised to find that it didn't come with a limited slip rear end. No wonder the other wheel wasn't spinning while I was stuck in the mud this weekend. Why in the world would Ford build such a heavy vehicle, even make it a 4wd, and not put a limited slip rear end in it.

That boggles my mind.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I looked up the build sheet for my expedition today and was surprised to find that it didn't come with a limited slip rear end. No wonder the other wheel wasn't spinning while I was stuck in the mud this weekend. Why in the world would Ford build such a heavy vehicle, even make it a 4wd, and not put a limited slip rear end in it.

That boggles my mind.

I ordered and purchased a new 2015 Expedition Limited 4x4. When the dealer placed the order, a limited slip rear differential was not available. I was surprised that it not even an option (at extra cost). I need the 4x4 for winter driving, but use the 2-wheel drive 8-9 months of the year. I would have paid extra for the limited slip rear end.

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
Well I just recently did a swap on mine from open to LSD, it helps a little but not as much, the extra weight of the expy helps it get more traction than an F150 with no load in the back with an open diff. It's useful on a pick up truck but not so much on a heavy suv like ours.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My 05 had AdvanceTrac with RSC, which had the limited slip rear, but I believe that was an option that had to be ordered. My 2017 Limited EL 4X4 came standard with limited slip rear axle.