No Oil in the heads after replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ltramon45

Reaction score
I replaced the head gaskets in my heads. I also put in a new radiator, power steering pump, water pump, new timing belts/tensioners/rails, all new gaskets all the way around.

I fired it up and its making a knocking sound. I checked the dip stick and there is no oil on it. I also put in a new oil filter and oil. I then checked the oil cap and no oil on it. As the engine was running I looked down the tube for the oil cap and there is no oil hitting the cams. Is the problem in the pick up tube or oil pump? Hate to start tearing it up again.

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Dumb question, did you put oil in it? The dip stick shouldn't be dry.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
Yes I put oil in it along with a new filter. Even added another quart.

I edited the original thread.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did u put the plug back on the pan? Happened to me before

Holy Rollerz Christian Car Club (HRC3)

B

bedrck46

if you put oil in it and then you say the dip stick isn't showing any oil something is wrong Even if the oil pump wasn't working you should get a reading on the dip stick.

How many Qt's did you put in??

Also you may want to drain the oil again If is new oil just save it so you can use it to refill

OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
My dip stick is from the junk yard. I think its shorter than the original. I think I have 6 qts in it, it could be 7. Nothing in the heads and it makes a ticking sound. my neighbor says that the sound is the lifter being dry.

OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
The gauge is reading normal. If I completely tore things down to the heads to replace the head gaskets will it require more than the 6 or 7 qts. I just can't see tearing this thing down again.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You should hear more than a ticking sound if your not getting oil in the top end.

Remove oil sender, replace with mechanical oil pressure gauge, disconnect coils or cut off fuel. Crank engine and read gauge.
You don't want it running at this point, just turning enough to read the oil pressure.
I don't trust electronic gauges when something isn't working right - switch to mechanical.

Last edited: