No Oil in the heads after replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
No oil pressure on mechanical gauge = bad.

Are you sure that you didn't block off any passages when you installed the new head gaskets?

Don't take this the wrong way, but have you ever done a project that is anything like this before? It kind of seems like you're winging it.

On a new motor (or newly rebuilt) it is common practice to prime the oil system before you try to start and run the motor. This would have shown you that you have a problem before you messed up the motor. (if you ran it with no oil pressure, you certainly did some damage.)

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
tonydiv I have never tackled anything like it before. I have not tried the mechanical gauge yet. i would have to go out and get one. I had removed the oil pan and sprayed cleaner in the underside of the engine before putting everything back together. i hit the screen with cleaner really good. I had the heads checked over and redone.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are some unwritten rules when working on an engine. One of which is: Replace the oil pump and pickup - or at least check clearances when you drop the pan for any reason. It is just cheap insurance.

In your case I would check to see if the head gaskets are specific to which bank they are placed on.

No oil in the top end it should sound like a rattle can from hell.

Get a good book on rebuilding engines and do it the right way - it is cheaper in the long run plus you learn something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
I replaced everything else except those two things. Just not sure if its the oil pump. The noise I hear is coming from that area. The head gaskets are from Felpro and came in a kit for the entire engine.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do a Homer Simpson and smack yourself in the forehead....

How many miles are on the engine and how long did you let it run after you replaced the head gaskets?

Last edited:

01yellerCobra

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The gaskets are side specific and should be marked for which side they go on. If they're on the wrong side that could block the oil passages.

Misspelling brought to you by tapatalk

OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
The engine has about 154000 miles on it. I let it run for about 3 to 5 minutes about 4 times in the last 2 days

I am pretty sure that I got the gaskets on correctly. I had a friend who is a mechanic and we put on the driver side together.

FordandPolaris

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has had a singular knock for 60,000 miles and still runs, though it is getting worse. I use Lucas oil stabilizer with my oil changes and that does help. For some reason, one lifter is not getting oiled like the others. I have heard it in other 5.4's too but I have not torn my motor down yet so not sure what causes it. So it did not knock before you did the work?

OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
somebody on another forum suggested it might be air in the system that needs to be purged out. any thoughts?