No Oil in the heads after replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
From experience, more than likely you problem was induced when you did all that maintenance. Maybe you pulled an oil galley plug or something like that? Maybe the new gasket has a plugged path that the old one didn't.

Did you use white lithium grease or Lucas heavy duty oil stabilizer for the rotating parts that need oil so you don't run them dry?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
Did not use those products. When I got the heads back i reinstalled them. It is beginning to sound as if I have to tear the heads down again

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mine has had a singular knock for 60,000 miles and still runs, though it is getting worse. I use Lucas oil stabilizer with my oil changes and that does help. For some reason, one lifter is not getting oiled like the others. I have heard it in other 5.4's too but I have not torn my motor down yet so not sure what causes it. So it did not knock before you did the work?

My '98 EB had a slight knock that got worse and worse till the engine threw a rod. So be careful! I looked under the expedition because there was oil under it and sure enough there was a hole in the bottom of the oil pan! I didn't know how bad it was because it was over grass.

OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
I am parked on the drive way. compression test maybe? drain the oil? I just dont know what to do. Hell I might have to get a mechanic involved. about to give up

metaldrgn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well first lets look at what's not working correctly. There should be diagrams of the oil system and basically you need to make sure one of the paths isn't blocked or open and bleeding back into the pan or out of the engine.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your missing the big picture:
You need to determine if the oil pump works. You do this with the mechanical oil pressure gauge. It will most likely tap into a point close to the oil pump vs farther away. If you have pressure at that point the head gaskets are on the wrong side. If no pressure then the pump is toast.
remember - kiss - keep it simple stupid (not intended as an insult)

OP
OP
L

ltramon45

Reaction score
Ok now its making sense. stamp11127 I will check that with a mechanical oil pressure gauge. and stamp i like the KISS method except lately I have not been using it wisely. no insult taken. I will report tomorrow evening as i work until 5pm

metaldrgn the engine is a 5.4

thanks. keep sending ideas and thoughts, everything helps