Noise coming from the belt area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
HI folks, i have what sounds like a continuous uneven chirping sound coming from the belt area when i start the car in the morning. Yesterday it did it for the first time after being driven for a while. Just crossed 150k this last weekend.

Anyone know of a cause?

thanks.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
One of the bearings in the accessory drive is worn out. Take the serp belt off and spin each pulley by hand, the rough one will be the problem.

OP
OP
E

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok, does that mean releasing the belt tensioner, pulling the belt off, and spinning them?

is there more than one accessory drive?

thank you.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes you will need to release the tension on the belt You may not have to remove the belt as long as you can spin the different pulleys. Check each pulley the belt makes contact with, Alt, Water pump Etc.

OP
OP
E

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
ok thank you, will attempt that. then i'm sure i'll be searching on how to replace that pulley:).

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That will all depend on what or if you find something wrong

Also when you spin any pulley check it to see if it has any side to side play in the bearing

Last edited:

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
We never said it will be a just a pulley, it can be the bearing in the water pump, idler pulley, ac clutch pulley, alternator, tensioner or power steering pulley.

JoeD

Reaction score
also check the condition of the belt itself while you're at it, and exercise the tensioner too

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I fixed my chirp, with a Goodyear Gatorback belt. It says on package"the quiet belt". Avoid Dayco belts, they are know for this noise. Clean the smooth faced pulleys, before installing new belt. Sometimes they have dirt/rubber build up.

OP
OP
E

EliteFord

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so to replace the belt you just pull the tension-er and belt off and replace. but just be careful nothing spins while off?