Noise coming from the belt area

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Snag

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yep, kind of. The tensioner doesn't need pulled, it just needs released with a I think mine was a 3/8" drive ratchet. Pay attention to the arrangement of the belt, it goes over and under many devices. There is a belt diagram on the fan shroud is where mine was at. Or draw a pic of the arrangement. But I wouldn't recommend just replacing your belt as the fix. I would check each device as indicated above to make sure all are in good shape. And it don't matter if they turn as there is no sequencing of any of the devices on the fan drive belt. Spin each and make sure they are quiet and not loose side to side and up and down or feels rough/gravely.
good luck
Gary

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
There are some good clips on Youtube. I rented(free at Advance Auto) a belt tool. You insert into tensioner and push. then pull belt off the alternator. To re-install, feed belt between tensioner and idler, down to a/c compressor, first. Loop around, following diagram, near hood latch. Leave it off alternator. release tension(with tool again) and loop around alternator. Make sure to check, belt is seated in all pulleys!