Noise from engine bay

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the other guys it sounds like you've got to get dirty. In your video you spun the alternator, it sounded fine. What about the other pulleys ie belt tensioner, smog pump, power steering?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2004XLT

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm going with timing chain tensioners if it's louder in the front. What's your mileage at?

OP
OP
X

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I agree with the other guys it sounds like you've got to get dirty. In your video you spun the alternator, it sounded fine. What about the other pulleys ie belt tensioner, smog pump, power steering?

One pulley was a bit wobbly with a squeal, just to the left and up from the oil filter, just to the left of the power steering pump.

142+ on the clock.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you pull apart timing cover remove belt, and spin all pulleys. Had a member about 6 months back had a bad belt tensioner. Sounded like a skate. If all are quiet, time to pull cover. Don't drive anymore!

OP
OP
X

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Before you pull apart timing cover remove belt, and spin all pulleys. Had a member about 6 months back had a bad belt tensioner. Sounded like a skate. If all are quiet, time to pull cover. Don't drive anymore!

All pulleys have been spun, just 1 with a chirp, rattle still there with engine running without belt.

Videos on first page.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well looks like your pulling timing cover!

OP
OP
X

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So that begs the next question, with 142+ on the clock if one is going to do a timing set job it almost seems dumb not to replace the oil pump right?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Don't worry about the oil pump at this point unless you have low oil pressure. If you discover parts of the chain guides are missing, they always end up in the oil pan. At that point you need to drop the pan and get them out. If you don't you risk the chance of blocking the pickup tube. You don't want that to happen.

OP
OP
X

xfiles67

Full Access Members
Reaction score
So not at all looking forward to this I've been checking out the local shops, out of 3 I checked with only 1 was interested in the job, at almost $1800......

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any of our members in Virginia want to give xfiles67 a hand!