Noise on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update (hopefully last one!)
Got my Expy back today. Starts and runs smooth!

It did throw a check engine light in the first 30 min driving it though. I took it back and they ran diagnostics and it was the cam phasers (which I had locked and then the engine reprogrammed, since the shop highly recommended doing so b/c they’ve done a lot of these 5.4’s).

The mechanic said to drive it for a few days and if it throws the engine light again they’ll try reprogramming it a second time. He said the 2007’s are harder to reprogram for some reason.

At least she’s starting and running smooth again! Thanks everyone for your input and help with the tensioner issue.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update (hopefully last one!)
Got my Expy back today. Starts and runs smooth!

It did throw a check engine light in the first 30 min driving it though. I took it back and they ran diagnostics and it was the cam phasers (which I had locked and then the engine reprogrammed, since the shop highly recommended doing so b/c they’ve done a lot of these 5.4’s).

The mechanic said to drive it for a few days and if it throws the engine light again they’ll try reprogramming it a second time. He said the 2007’s are harder to reprogram for some reason.

At least she’s starting and running smooth again! Thanks everyone for your input and help with the tensioner issue.

Bad idea locking the phasers and they may never get it programed. People are buying extra software just to do that. Ford went to all the trouble to perfect that engine and they took it a step backwards. The phasers add hp and decrease mpg's. Plus now it might not smog.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bad idea locking the phasers and they may never get it programed. People are buying extra software just to do that. Ford went to all the trouble to perfect that engine and they took it a step backwards. The phasers add hp and decrease mpg's. I hope they didn't charge you much for sticking those plugs in there.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Bad idea locking the phasers and they may never get it programed. People are buying extra software just to do that. Ford went to all the trouble to perfect that engine and they took it a step backwards. The phasers add hp and decrease mpg's.

I appreciate your input, you’ve stated such before. I went with what the shop recommended since they have done a lot of the 5.4’s and also know a few things.
With 170k miles...I’m not interested in having to open this thing up again if the phasers require fixing down the road. If I lose some HP on the top end, so be it.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I appreciate your input, you’ve stated such before. I went with what the shop recommended since they have done a lot of the 5.4’s and also know a few things.
With 170k miles...I’m not interested in having to open this thing up again if the phasers require fixing down the road. If I lose some HP on the top end, so be it.

I don't know that I would trust a shop that recommends locking the phasers. There's plenty of information out there about it and is considered not the best idea. If you're going to have the front end apart it's much smarter just to put new improve components in there so they can work as designed and not fail. The lockouts for the first Band-Aid fix to hit the market when these first started giving trouble but hardly any reputable mechanics recommend using them. I think you would be hard-pressed to find any dealer that would do them or even mess with one that has them.
You'll probably never be able to get the check engine light to stay off as long as they're locked out unless they go to the extreme of having special tuner or software that makes the light stay out when phasers are installed.
Not to say you won't get plenty of years out of it but you are sacrificing the end is ability to adjust the timing for low and mid-range power and then Highway range Power along with increase fuel mileage.
With good replacement components you will get the same number of trouble for years and have the best of both worlds without sacrificing.
If you were to do a lot of research and check with shops repairing these you would find many more recommending against lockouts than for or installing them.
But at this point, it's done so just go with it.
But don't go around recommending people to get the lockouts put on because it's not the best way to approach the situation.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score

Makuloco knows a lot too but won't put them in, I just hope they didn't charge much for that easy "fix".

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I don't know that I would trust a shop that recommends locking the phasers. There's plenty of information out there about it and is considered not the best idea. If you're going to have the front end apart it's much smarter just to put new improve components in there so they can work as designed and not fail. The lockouts for the first Band-Aid fix to hit the market when these first started giving trouble but hardly any reputable mechanics recommend using them. I think you would be hard-pressed to find any dealer that would do them or even mess with one that has them.
You'll probably never be able to get the check engine light to stay off as long as they're locked out unless they go to the extreme of having special tuner or software that makes the light stay out when phasers are installed.
Not to say you won't get plenty of years out of it but you are sacrificing the end is ability to adjust the timing for low and mid-range power and then Highway range Power along with increase fuel mileage.
With good replacement components you will get the same number of trouble for years and have the best of both worlds without sacrificing.
If you were to do a lot of research and check with shops repairing these you would find many more recommending against lockouts than for or installing them.
But at this point, it's done so just go with it.
But don't go around recommending people to get the lockouts put on because it's not the best way to approach the situation.
You beat me by seconds...lol. I agree, they probably did a lot of them because they don't always have mechanics that can or want to do it right. To me it's like sabotaging your vehicle...…..bad idea.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
Ford designed a specialty tool, called a cheese wedge. It locks the timing chain in place. It allows for removal of just the phaser, without taking off the timing cover. It cuts labor down to a couple of hours(from over 11). Locking the pin is hack mechanic work. A shop 'familiar' with the 5.4l, would know about the new fix.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ford designed a specialty tool, called a cheese wedge. It locks the timing chain in place. It allows for removal of just the phaser, without taking off the timing cover. It cuts labor down to a couple of hours(from over 11). Locking the pin is hack mechanic work. A shop 'familiar' with the 5.4l, would know about the new fix.
Yes it mainly keeps the chain from dropping off the bottom of the crank sprocket and making replacing the phaser a "breeze" but they want a "piece of cake" on the customers dime.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the lockouts are hack work or a Band-Aid fix. As I said earlier they might last 15 years but you're sacrificing. Do it with upgraded high quality parts because there's very little difference in the price the parts. It's all about the labor.
Then you'll get the same longevity but you'll get better power curves, performance miles per gallon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gagez