Noise on start up

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, the lockouts are hack work or a Band-Aid fix. As I said earlier they might last 15 years but you're sacrificing. Do it with upgraded high quality parts because there's very little difference in the price the parts. It's all about the labor.
Then you'll get the same longevity but you'll get better power curves, performance miles per gallon.

I hear you. It was a sacrifice I opted to make. Like I said earlier...I've spent way more $ on this 2007 than I expected to, and since I'd already done so many repairs/upgrades on it...I couldn't just walk away from it. At the same time...I'm not going to spend another dollar cracking open the engine again either. It has 170k on it. If this meant some less HP but no future issues with cam phasers (a known weak spot on these engines)...then I'm all in.

O7Navi, I said I appreciate your input. But I also have the right to recommend lock-outs as much as you have the right to NOT recommend them. Your statement sounded awfully controlling and un-american.

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hear you. It was a sacrifice I opted to make. Like I said earlier...I've spent way more $ on this 2007 than I expected to, and since I'd already done so many repairs/upgrades on it...I couldn't just walk away from it. At the same time...I'm not going to spend another dollar cracking open the engine again either. It has 170k on it. If this meant some less HP but no future issues with cam phasers (a known weak spot on these engines)...then I'm all in.

O7Navi, I said I appreciate your input. But I also have the right to recommend lock-outs as much as you have the right to NOT recommend them. Your statement sounded awfully controlling and un-american.
Just trying to make a point mainly for others since it's too late in your case but it is your car and there were 2 others that agreed with me above...…...whatever. Sorry I tried to help you now. You could have consulted the forum before agreeing to a quick fix by shysters. We were trying to help you all along but now you will spend more on gas than you saved, it might not smog, and those cel's are hard or impossible to get rid of. Also, those phasers were in good shape and possibly new to start with, you wanted our help but now we are controlling.

Last edited:

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that start up noise is awful lol. Glad to hear you got it taken care of. I myself installed phaser lockouts in my sister's 2007 Expedition Limited. At the same time I also did the chains, tensioners, guides and Melling oil pump (not the HV pump) She wanted trouble free driving for a couple more years, and that's what we got. She recently bought an F-150 5.0 and the Expedition is up for sale.

I did the job a little over 2 years ago now. Lockouts came with an SCT X4 tuner with a custom file for the VCT lockout installed in it. The engine runs silky smooth, doesn't appear to be down on power in any way and is whisper quiet. Only sound we can hear is the injectors clicking. With the tuner installed there has never been an engine light at all. Some of you call this a hack job repair by "shysters" but I had great luck with it, with no noticeable ill effects. We also switched to a 5w30 synthetic and FL-820S filter as per Fordtechmakuloco's recommendation.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just trying to make a point mainly for others since it's too late in your case but it is your car and there were 2 others that agreed with me above...…...whatever. Sorry I tried to help you now. You could have consulted the forum before agreeing to a quick fix by shysters. We were trying to help you all along but now you will spend more on gas than you saved, it might not smog, and those cel's are hard or impossible to get rid of. Also, those phasers were in good shape and possibly new to start with, you wanted our help but now we are controlling.

I heard your advice and others and was very kind thanking you for it. But I chose to lock them out. Your response came across harsh and controlling. It’s possible to kindly disagree without the rhetoric.

2007 Ford Expedition Limited
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Wow, that start up noise is awful lol. Glad to hear you got it taken care of. I myself installed phaser lockouts in my sister's 2007 Expedition Limited. At the same time I also did the chains, tensioners, guides and Melling oil pump (not the HV pump) She wanted trouble free driving for a couple more years, and that's what we got. She recently bought an F-150 5.0 and the Expedition is up for sale.

I did the job a little over 2 years ago now. Lockouts came with an SCT X4 tuner with a custom file for the VCT lockout installed in it. The engine runs silky smooth, doesn't appear to be down on power in any way and is whisper quiet. Only sound we can hear is the injectors clicking. With the tuner installed there has never been an engine light at all. Some of you call this a hack job repair by "shysters" but I had great luck with it, with no noticeable ill effects. We also switched to a 5w30 synthetic and FL-820S filter as per Fordtechmakuloco's recommendation.

Hey Wedge...did you do the custom tune with the SCT X4 yourself or have a shop do it? Curious how easy that might’ve been.
Also...Do you still have the SCT X4?

WEDGE

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hey Wedge...did you do the custom tune with the SCT X4 yourself or have a shop do it? Curious how easy that might’ve been.
Also...Do you still have the SCT X4?

I bought the lockouts and tuner as a package. It came pre-programmed with the VCT lockout tune already uploaded into it. All I had to do was plug it into the OBD port, follow the on screen prompts and all is well.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The camphasers are pretty robust and do not fail by themselves, they only fail if you have an underlying oil pressure problem....so when they make noise and throw a CEL it is warning you of troubles. Locking out the phasers fixes well, nothing and if an oil pressure issue is present it masks it and will lead to engine damage. This is why most look down upon phaser lockouts, they were sold as a fix to the noisy engine and trouble codes when they don’t fix anything (problem is blown out tensioner seals and/or weak oil pump). Phasers are always the symptom and never the problem. Lockouts are like Tylenol for a broken leg...you still need surgery the Tylenol isn’t meshing the bone back together. That being said lockouts aren’t going to hurt your engine in any way-you are fine. They do reduce top end power-that’s just physics of intake induction.....you take away the cams ability to retard you take away high rev power. You fixed the blown out tensioner so the engine is reliable and if your happy all is well.

Last edited:

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I heard your advice and others and was very kind thanking you for it. But I chose to lock them out. Your response came across harsh and controlling. It’s possible to kindly disagree without the rhetoric.

Next time pay some American online mechanics to help you...……...
Don't look gift horses in the mouth.

TobyU

Full Access Members
Reaction score

The fact that you've put this much money into it is exactly the types of stories that prevent me from buying anything newer than 2004 on the Ford trucks right now. I will just buy super clean low mile O3 to 04 because I refuse to have an 05 and up currently.
I'm certainly not the norm though but it does work for me.

OP
OP
Shantheman73

Shantheman73

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Update:
I ordered the 5 Star locked VCT tune and flashed my PCM today.
Wow what a difference. The check engine light is gone, and the increase in power is noticeable.
Locking out the VCT might not have been everyone’s first choice...but fuel economy is slightly up and power feels fully restored with the tune.
The SCT X4 was a cinch to use too.
Kudos to 5 Star

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sharprd65