Ordering brake pads and rotors

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wyo_vr4

Reaction score
This may seem like a stupid question but I've never installed brake components before. How many sets of pads and rotors would I need to buy - 4 rotors and 2 sets of pads or 4 rotors and 4 sets of pads? Last time, I had this done at the dealer. They turned the rotors and installed new pads. This time, I want to save money and do it myself. Any advice would be most appreciated.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
4 rotors...2 sets...front...back (4 sets if you think of it as per wheel)...each set will have pads for the front and back side of the rotor for each wheel

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Get a manual for your truck - read the brake section.
Only do one wheel at a time. If you screw something up you have the other wheel to look at.
Sometimes the rotors will get stuck/rusted on. PB Blaster is your friend.
Some rotors are held in place with countersunk Philips head screws - may need an impact driver to remove them
If they don't have the screw you can use one lug nut to hold the new rotor in place while you put the caliper assy. back on.
Don't let the caliper hang by the hose. Inspect the brake hose for cracks while your there.
Wipe the rotor face with brake cleaner to remove the coating before installing.
Don't get cheap with the pads, buy a good set.

Last edited:

designit

Full Access Members
Reaction score
whatcha buyin?... I'm doing the same thing today...

Looking at powerstop K1869 (front) at the moment.. I'll do the rear in a few months.

VTfireftr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I too am doing the brakes on my Expedition. Just the front though. I've got some really bad warped rotors.

I can get all the pads and rotors at my local NAPA for $300. Should I have any issues with parts it's a whole lot easier to drive to NAPA tahn trying to send something back and deal with customer service on the phone.

Well worth the few extra bucks. And the warranty is covered by any NAPA store.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
even though you can get them for $300...you can get powerstop from $200-$250 free shipping and better...i literally have no brake dust and the stopping power is GRRRRRREEEAAAAT!!!

tonydiv

technical advisor
Reaction score
Because of the very basic nature of your question, I'd suggest that you spend a few extra bucks and let a pro do the installation. These are your brakes.... you know the things that keep you from a crash and firey death.

At least find a mechanic friend to help you out and look over your shoulder.
I recently had to go to a friends place to figure out a brake problem. Turns out that he mis-read the directions on the can of anti-squeal spray, and put it on the wrong side of the pads. It could have resulted in a brake lock up or worse, a complete failure. (see firey death comment above)

OP
OP
wyo_vr4

wyo_vr4

Reaction score
whatcha buyin?... I'm doing the same thing today...

Looking at powerstop K1869 (front) at the moment.. I'll do the rear in a few months.

Looking at Akebono pads, and Powerstop rotors. They might not need doing but I'm noticing some noise and longer than usual break pedal travel. I need to figure out a plan before a couple of long road trips later in the year.

Because of the very basic nature of your question, I'd suggest that you spend a few extra bucks and let a pro do the installation. These are your brakes.... you know the things that keep you from a crash and firey death.

At least find a mechanic friend to help you out and look over your shoulder.
I recently had to go to a friends place to figure out a brake problem. Turns out that he mis-read the directions on the can of anti-squeal spray, and put it on the wrong side of the pads. It could have resulted in a brake lock up or worse, a complete failure. (see firey death comment above)

You might have a point, Tony, lol. I managed a suspension swap (air to springs) last year but got a lot of help from another forum member.

I too am doing the brakes on my Expedition. Just the front though. I've got some really bad warped rotors.

My other car is a 1st gen G35 so I know all about warped rotors. A local tire store replaced the pads and the problem actually got worse. It's annoying because for the price I paid to have them do it, I could have bought new rotors.

Last edited: