Overhead rear-seat vents?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Chris Cornell

Reaction score
HELP! I just test-drove an Expedition (a brand-new, 2016) for the first time. It's a great vehicle, and I'm now trying to buy or order one. (I need to replace my 2014 GMC Acadia to get more towing power.)

But, neither I nor the otherwise excellent salesman I'm working with can figure out whether the standard configuration of the XLT will send fresh, air-conditioned, and/or heated air through the overhead vents in the headliner, located (approximately) above the third-row seats.

I can't find this information on any of the Ford info on the internet (including the Expedition owner's manual). It's a critical feature for me, because I carry two Labrador retrievers (in side-by-side wire crates) in the "way-back" and need to keep them comfortable, especially in summer heat and humidity.

Are functioning overhead vents standard equipment on the XLT, or do I have to buy a vehicle with the optional, $6000+ interior "package" with electronic climate controls? (Similar overhead vents in my base-level Acadia work just fine to circulate air.)

Thanks, in advance, for any help and advice you can provide!

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This isn't what you may want to hear But why didn't you check that out when you were doing the test drive??

Or maybe you can go take another test drive to check it out.

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
REAR PASSENGER CLIMATE CONTROLS

E188689

A Fan speed control: Adjust the volume of air circulated in the vehicle.

Heated seats (if equipped): Press the button to switch the heated seats on

and off. See Heated Seats (page 134).

B

Temperature control: Control the temperature of the air circulated in your

vehicle.

C

Air distribution control: Adjust the control to turn airflow from the instrument

panel or footwell vents on or off. You can distribute air through any combination

of these vents.

D

Fan speed control lock: When illuminated, you can only operate the rear

passenger settings through the front controls.

E

Expedition

If you look at section C it explains the function of the air distribution for the REAR PASSENFER COMPARTMENT
Although it states instrument panel I would think that means overhead vent since there is no instrument panel in the rear passenger compartment

Page 120 of the 2016 owners manual

OP
OP
C

Chris Cornell

Reaction score
This isn't what you may want to hear But why didn't you check that out when you were doing the test drive??

Or maybe you can go take another test drive to check it out.

------------------------
I was afraid somebody would ask that. As I should have stated in my original post, the XLT that I test-drove had the $6,000+ interior package with electronic controls. So, the fact that this particular system pushed air through the overhead vents didn't tell me whether the standard (base) system would. Hope this makes sense.

Last edited:
OP
OP
C

Chris Cornell

Reaction score
REAR PASSENGER CLIMATE CONTROLS

E188689

A Fan speed control: Adjust the volume of air circulated in the vehicle.

Heated seats (if equipped): Press the button to switch the heated seats on

and off. See Heated Seats (page 134).

B

Temperature control: Control the temperature of the air circulated in your

vehicle.

C

Air distribution control: Adjust the control to turn airflow from the instrument

panel or footwell vents on or off. You can distribute air through any combination

of these vents.

D

Fan speed control lock: When illuminated, you can only operate the rear

passenger settings through the front controls.

E

Expedition

If you look at section C it explains the function of the air distribution for the REAR PASSENFER COMPARTMENT
Although it states instrument panel I would think that means overhead vent since there is no instrument panel in the rear passenger compartment

Page 120 of the 2016 owners manual

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I would imagine that due to the size of the vehicle it would have front and rear ventilation. I know my 15 exploerer has it. ALthough its a loaded XLT. Honestly, I'd take a look at a base to be sure. To many packages to know what it does and doesn't have.