P0011, P0354, P0302 - Help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

IvDogg

Reaction score
Hey All, been a while since I've been on here. Picked up my second Expedition, third Ford SUV (owned an explorer before too).

2005 Eddie Bauer - 187k. I know, high mileage, but got it for cheap and it's in great shape and all the EB comforts work and look good.

Service Records for this truck are tip top for it's entire life except the last 20k miles (2nd owner). Hoping to give it a better home than its last.

It runs okay most of the times, but it will occasionally lose power at take off or highway speeds. It also noticeably misfires on occasion. Last there's reduced fuel economy, about 10MPG mostly city driving.

Pulled codes P0011, P0354, and P0302.

To note, there's no fluid leaks, smoking, or burnt fluid smell. The exhaust does smell a little lean (like gasoline a bit).

What do you all recommend for a plan of action on this? I'm thinking I'll start with a basic tune-up, plus a little extra (oil, spark plug, and coil change).

Thank you all!

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0011 - Intake Camshaft Position Timing - Over-Advanced (Bank 1)
Description: The comprehensive component monitor (CCM) monitors the variable cam timing (VCT) position for an over-advanced camshaft timing. The test fails when the camshaft timing exceeds a maximum calibrated value or remains in an advanced position.
Possible Causes:
  • Camshaft timing improperly set.
  • Continuous oil flow to the VCT piston chamber.
  • VCT solenoid valve stuck open.
  • Camshaft advance mechanism binding (VCT unit).
Diagnostic Aids: This DTC is a functional check of the VCT unit. Diagnose any base engine concerns related to the engine oil pressure or engine timing. Refer to the Workshop Manual Section 303-00 Engine System.

P030x - Misfire Detection Monitor
Description: The misfire detection monitor is designed to monitor engine misfire and identify the specific cylinder in which the misfire has occurred. Misfire is defined as lack of combustion in a cylinder due to absence of spark, poor fuel metering, poor compression, or any other cause.
NOTE: x represents cylinder number 1 through 9.
Possible Causes:
  • Ignition system.
  • Fuel injectors.
  • Running out of fuel.
  • EVAP canister purge valve.
  • Fuel pressure.
  • Evaporative emission system.
  • EGR system.
  • Base engine.
Diagnostic Aids: The malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) blinks once per second when a misfire severe enough to cause catalyst damage is detected. If the MIL is on steady state due to a misfire, this indicates the threshold for emissions was exceeded and caused the vehicle to fail an inspection and maintenance tailpipe test.

P0354 - Ignition Coil D Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction (cyl. 4)
Description: See the description for DTC P0350.
Possible Causes: See the possible causes for DTC P0350.
Diagnostic Aids: See the diagnostic aids for DTC P0350.
Application Key On Engine Off Key On Engine Running Continuous Memory

P0350 - Ignition Coil (Undetermined) Primary/Secondary Circuit Malfunction
Description: Each ignition primary circuit is continuously monitored. The test fails when the powertrain control module (PCM) does not receive a valid ignition diagnostic monitor (IDM) pulse signal from the ignition module (integrated in the PCM).
Possible Causes:
  • Open or short in the Ignition START/RUN circuit.
  • Open coil driver circuit.
  • Coil driver circuit shorted to ground.
  • Damaged coil.
  • Coil driver circuit shorted to VPWR.
Diagnostic Aids: Use the 12-volt non-powered test lamp to verify START/RUN voltage at the ignition coil harness connector.
Check the coil driver circuit for open, short to VPWR, or short to ground.

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
Thank you! I should have clarified, I looked up the trouble codes, but I'd love to hear some recommendations. I'm 'hoping' a tune up to includes, plugs, coils and the VCT Solenoid should get it running smoothly. Thoughts?

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Now you know why you got it cheap!

Sent from my N9131 using Tapatalk

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Just funnin with you. As always do the diagnostic involved with the trouble codes. Don't throw parts at the situation until all the wiring, and tests involving that code is done first. It's cheaper that way, and the right thing to do.

CAKD07

Reaction score
I have an '05 EB with 250k and kept getting codes, the engine was running rough, etc. Ended up getting all new plugs, coils, and boots. Additionally you should see when your converters were exchanged (if they ever were). Best shop in DFW told me they don't last over 100k. It's gonna be expensive but if you want to keep it......

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Change the plugs, and the coil boots. I'd hold off on the coils, aftermarket ones are hit and miss on quality. Use Ford plugs, they seem to work best. You can use a volt/ohm meter to test coils. Just my opinion, its your money, spend it as you wish. Our goal on the forum is to make mechanics out of you guys and girls, not parts changers!

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
Thank you all for the replies! I changed the bank 1 VCT solenoid because it was pretty easy and instantly got better performance. Still have a bit of a misfire and fuel economy isn't that much better. Will be giving it a tune up today: Oil change, air filter, plugs and just the coil for the one with the P0354. Will see how it runs after that.

OP
OP
IvDogg

IvDogg

Reaction score
Alright, update for all, after changing the spark plugs, ignition coils, vct solenoids, and cam position sensors I finally found the problem: Needed to replace the bank 1 ignition wire harness (the wire harness that powers the ignition coils and injectors for bank one). Pep boys lists it as PT5749, it kinda looks like - http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/55...L-sCUreOPvD_RhfolgQjluqfbmtYi22RoCJdAQAvD_BwE

No misfires, no crazy engine codes, mileage and power back!

Picture of her in profile!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986