Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Time for upgrade? Doubt that will be covered. Maybe an auto body shop can do a new paint job on those two

When it comes time to upgrade my 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4, I would never consider a new Ford product made with aluminum panels because Ford does not know how to paint an aluminum panel without corrosion starting within several years.

How does GM and FCA paint their aluminum panels without corrosion starting so quickly?

(The paint on backside of my rear hatch began to corrode and bubble before the new car warranty had expired. The vehicle was purchased new and never damaged or wrecked.)

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There is a TSB for repairs, but you’ll be paying for it out of your own pocket.
That depends on which model year !

This is a very long thread so I can't blame everyone for NOT reading every post but I posted this on May 16, 2017

Not that this will help most people or even make you feel better, but the following verbiage has been added to the Ford US standard warranty as of 2016MY.

If aluminum body panels have corrosion or rust damage, and the damage is not the result of abnormal usage, vehicle accident, customer actions and/or extreme environmental conditions, the corrosion or rust damage repairs are covered for 5 years, unlimited miles.

Many dealers STILL do not know the warranty changed for 2016MY. Angry Owner had been to multiple dealership, multiple time and was TURNED down multiple times, until July 14, 2017

the paint repair on my 2016 has been approved! it seemed like nobody was aware of the verbiage on the aluminum that was added. but they are now!

Thanks, theoldwizard1!!

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My 2010 paint is bubbling on the hood by the latch and on the back tailgate and is now starting to peel. Any advice on getting any of this covered? I will soon be down to bare metel when it peels off the next time it gets washed. This is truly a manufacturing / engineering defect to mix metals without proper finishing.

8 year old paint? I think this one is coming out of your pocket. Just wondering...how long ago did the paint start to bubble?

David1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
8 year old paint? I think this one is coming out of your pocket. Just wondering...how long ago did the paint start to bubble?
What does 8 yrs mean ? Have you ever seen an Audi, blister ? Besides all the other high end (rolls, Jag etc) cars that are Aluminum. My 2010 just started bubbling last year ! on the tailgate.

Eric359

Reaction score
Add one more to this list.... Paint bubbling along the bottom of hatch and front of hood. '14 Tuxedo Black Limited, with 46,000 miles. I purchased new and the vehicle has been maintained extremely well. I'll be in for an oil change at the dealer in a week or so and they will hear about it from me. New, these trucks cost a TON of money and to have it deteriorate while doing all the "right " things to maintain them stinks....

Im139

Reaction score
I have bubbling on my 13' black limited EL on the rear at the corner of the chrome trim piece too. I noticed it at 36876 miles when I went to buy out my lease. Dealer told me nothing they could do since I was over my 36000 but were happy to mention the new ones have a better warranty. It's getting worse now that I'm at 56000+. I find it comical that I see this issue rampant throughout my area since I'm in Dearborn and we have plenty of expeditions on the road. Any suggestions on Ford contacts to file complaints to other than the dealership and their customer care line. Dealerships around here get so many A plan and Z plan that they could careless about their reputation.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You guys do have a point, the mustangs, mountaineers, explorers, freestyle, flex, edge, Expedition, Navigator, F-150 all have aluminum paint bubbling issues. My Mechanics body shop is starting to see new F-150 aluminum bodies peeling and having issues, the oldest ones are three years old!!! GM has used aluminum for hoods and doors for years and has never had the issues yet ford does across their entire lineup. I was talking to an engineer who explained to me aluminum panels don’t oxidize like steel, but that they harden as they age and effectively the panels become weak and crack, hence why bigger coast guard boats gave up on coated aluminum. He said steel is a much more stable material that doesn’t deteriorate as long as it’s coated, where as aluminum internally deteriorates and weakens with age which eventually renders it useless. Also said they oxidize and turn into powder, I was thinking the newer bodies will last forever but he quickly proved otherwise.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Those are covered under warranty which changed in 2016 model year.

pretty sure they aren’t covered. That’s a hood and tailgate warranty, the rest of the body needs perforations through the aluminum in order to be fixed. Trust me ford doesn’t want their trucks to last forever. My trucks going in soon for rocker panels and a wheel well repair as well. My dads buddy is a failure engineer for GM, these companies design their products to fail. In fact they spend MILLIONS to ensure they eventually do, especially on the newer vehicles they are getting worse. Sealed transmissions we can’t service with lifetime fluid are a perfect example. The “lifetime” of the tranny is the lifetime of the fluid (roughly 150,000-175,000 miles).

Not being a know it all or trying to sound like a dick, but a lot of people put blind faith in these companies thinking they have our back. They spend MILLIONS to make sure parts fail.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I was talking to an engineer who explained to me aluminum panels don’t oxidize like steel, but that they harden as they age and effectively the panels become weak and crack, hence why bigger coast guard boats gave up on coated aluminum. He said steel is a much more stable material that doesn’t deteriorate as long as it’s coated, where as aluminum internally deteriorates and weakens with age which eventually renders it useless. Also said they oxidize and turn into powder

An engineer, huh? I've heard it all now.

Time to stick a for sale sign in my 72 year old, all aluminum & factory unpainted 1946 Luscombe 8E before its panels harden, become weak and crack, and the whole thing turns into dust. Just glad Ford didn't paint it I guess.

Tell your engineer friend I've got a bridge for sale.