Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I encourage anyone interested to read on on “age hardening” of aluminum alloys, a process that Flexpedition thinks is non existent even though it’s been throughly proven and there have been many studies on it as well as the other effects of aging and corrosion on aluminum alloys. it’s not a forever material by any means. :) Another reason why many stopped using it on larger vessels after experimentation with the material.

Both of these ships are brand new. And they are structurally 100% aluminum. Hull, superstructure, innards. (Full disclosure: IMO, its possibly the worst concept and designed ship since pre-WWII)
1275181.jpg

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Both of these ships are brand new. And they are structurally 100% aluminum. Hull, superstructure, innards. (Full disclosure: IMO, its possibly the worst concept and designed ship since pre-WWII)
View attachment 23792

Steel is a stronger material no matter how we look at it. Which is why it’s more expensive and weighs in more. Sure the F-150 has good crash ratings but it’s no thanks to aluminum, it’s the crumple zones.

Here is the US’ latest aircraft carrier, USS Gerald R. Ford, made of steel;)

149A44BF-B026-4CE4-BE6D-EF2DD86E4858.jpeg

Last edited:

GaryH2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Your 2016 should be warranted I’d take it in, be aware it will come back even after the warranty “repair” but it may buy you a year. They aren’t going to give a new tailgate they are just going to repaint the contaminated panel and unfortunately it will be back..... I just try to ignore it.
That's why you should get a silver Expy. Once the paint peels off, the chalking blends in with the rest of the truck. [emoji23]

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When it comes time to upgrade my 2015 Expedtion Limited 4x4, I would never consider a new Ford product made with aluminum panels because Ford does not know how to paint an aluminum panel without corrosion starting within several years.

How does GM and FCA paint their aluminum panels without corrosion starting so quickly?

(The paint on backside of my rear hatch began to corrode and bubble before the new car warranty had expired. The vehicle was purchased new and never damaged or wrecked.)

Actually there are complaints of similar issues, and even GM issues with steel panels doing similar things going back years. It isn't unique to Ford my stepdad's 1991 Chevy S-10 had this on the hood in 1994 with a steel hood.

Here are some references for similar threads -
https://www.cargurus.com/Cars/Discussion-t31924_ds653836
http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f22/gmc-savana-paint-peeling-white-276242/
https://forums.iboats.com/forum/oth.../527810-gm-vehicle-paint-delamination-peeling

EDIT: Specifically with aluminum hood - http://www.enclaveforum.net/23-body-exterior/8399-paint-bubbling-problem.html

I spent about 2 hours at the dealer discussing mine and some other issues, and will update when I have more information.

Last edited:

17LimitedExpy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I just discovered my CPO 2016 Ford Expedition EL XLT 4WD purchased last month has this on the tailgate.

Take it to the dealer, along with a copy of TSB 17-0062...they may be able to get the tailgate replaced.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The steel aluminum debate is definitely an argument worth having, but I’ll share my experience:

I have owned two difference private coaches. These are actual formerly chartered coaches...not RV’s, not school buses. We all know bad paint chemistry/prep causes paint peel. Several vehicle manufacturers had this issue with their steel bodied vehicles. It’s not just an aluminum panel thing. It’s of course true that aluminum needs special care and handling prep before being painted. When I painted both of my coaches which are entirely covered in aluminum, we had to use alumaprep etching aluminum specific primer before painting. My first coach paint job still looks great 10 years later. So somehow I managed to do a better job than Ford did on their aluminum liftgates. My second coach was painted the same way but the paint job is only a year old so I can’t say how it will hold up long term. I will say this, aluminum does corrode. Instead of rusting away into an orange flake, it just turns into a white powder. This is especially true in places where dissimilar metals are touching each other. For example around the aluminum rivets holding the aluminum coach panels to the steel ribbing there’s galvanic corrosion turning the rivets to powder. My newest coach has an entirely stainless steel frame covered with aluminum body panels with some fiberglass sheet over certain areas so I’ll never see any major rot happen on this one. The first coach I had was a 1984 and even though it had some corrosion, it was very little considering its age and constant bathing in salty roads in Canada it’s entire life. The steel framework was much more corroded than the aluminum so in that case the aluminum held up much much better than the steel did on my old coach.

I can’t say that having either a steel or aluminum body on a car is a bad thing. I can say that if Ford is having paint issues on their aluminum panels, the right thing to do would be research a fix, and repaint or replace the hatches affected. But we all know none of these companies lean towards doing the right thing very often.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Take it to the dealer, along with a copy of TSB 17-0062...they may be able to get the tailgate replaced.

I am at 39k miles, and right now dealer has escalated it with Ford. Dealer is talking like they are on my side and Ford should cover it.

EDIT: Ford is going to cover repainting and a rental car for 4 days. One of the things they did was have the service tech put some double sided moulding tape on the spot and peel it off. Some of the paint came with it.

Last edited:

Dorzak

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They are contracting with an outside body shop that is supposed to be capable of painting aluminum to repaint the tailgate. Also Ford is covering a rental. The rental is from Enterprise and is an F-150. The interior is stained, dirty, and damaged. Also less features. Used to think I didn't think people needed a back-up camera, now I don't have one again I miss it.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m
Sorry if this was mentioned already, but has anyone had their liftgate repainted professionally and it has lasted? Like a permanent fix? If so where did you take your truck?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Goff69