Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
I am sure that is clear coated or anodized or something

cant be raw aluminum
Could be untouched aluminum, if it was buffed the day before. Obviously will oxidize rapidly unless sealed. Cool pictures though thank you Flex. Sema 2017

Driving it like that might be an issue with glare! Reminds me of my western red cedar deck, beautiful for a few weeks then starts turning grey. You can seal it but then you have to redo that every year.

Last edited:

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I've owned a mostly polished raw aluminum airplane (Luscombe Silvaire 8E) for going on 20 years, my dads has owned several polished aircraft for over 50. Upkeep polishing is regular to keep a mirror finish, but zero corrosion, oxidation or any issues. Full buff every 3-5 years, somewhere along those lines. I've never seen a clear coated polished airplane, but I'm sure they are out there.

Very seldom do you ever see a Airstream or Spartan travel trailer that is clear coated, but when you do its easy to spot clearcoat, no matter the brand or application ritual, it always has a milky, semi transparent finish. Sometimes with a yellow hue. Seems like a perfect way to ruin such hard work.

When American Airlines flew a polished fleet, none were cleared. Same with semi truck fuel tanks, front grills, battery boxes, wheels, and gasoline transport semi trailers. My car hauler and utility trailer are both aluminum, neither cleared. Most of my pots and pans in the kitchen, no clearcoat. My truck tool box (diamond plate) is not cleared.

Most of what I mentioned is Alclad finished 2024 or maybe 3003. Boats are commonly 5052, especially for sea water. I'd be shocked if Ford wasn't using Alclad 2024 on our trucks. Take some Never Dull to a beer can and you'd be shocked.

The above 2018 has stainless steel looking grain lines scratched into the surface, probably to help with glare or to add to the shock factor.

Plati

Reaction score
nice, interesting info
i guess not all aluminum is created equal

28314_1437052804.jpg

This is a highly pitted/corroded "paint bubbling area" from my 2003 XLT tailgate
IMG_0150.JPG

Last edited:

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great info flex. I remembered there were different grades of aluminum when I wen searching for aluminum sheets to side my coach Bus. I have thousands of dollars of aluminum on my coach. I also have Alcoa aluminum rims that I have to keep polished constantly but if I stay on top of it they look amazing. So I suppose you could polish your aluminum hood and stay on it and it would look good. I have used wax on my rims to seal them and the shine lasts longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are not different "grades" of aluminum, just different alloys. The 4 numbers (6061, 6063, 5052, 2024, etc) describe how much of other metals are added to pure aluminum to achieve certain properties.

After the aluminum is formed into something (slabs, rods, cast parts, etc) Then most aluminum alloys under go a heat treatment process. This an addition letter and number(s) added to the end of the alloy (like T6). Finally, some aluminum receives a chemical coating/dip called "pickling" in the industry.

Of course the last step is cleaning, primer and paint done by the purchaser of the aluminum part.

Ford was well aware of the problems with aluminum hoods and tailgates. It has always been my belief that these parts were made by a supplier and they did not use the best cleaning and primer before the paint was applied.

The aluminum panels used in the F150/250 and the new Expedition/Navigator use different alloys, heat treatment and "pickling" developed by Alcoa.

LJ4174

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm currently looking for an Expedition or a Navigator, going to look at 2 this week and hopefully bringing one home so I can go back to living my life without spending hours looking and researching! :) Not that, that isn't fun... As a "for instance" - the 2 I'm looking at this week are a 2012 and a 2014 - "IF" they don't have any paint issues now at this point, should I still expect it? Is it only a matter or time or since these are 4-6 years old, if it hasn't shown itself yet, will it?

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
"IF" they don't have any paint issues now at this point, should I still expect it? Is it only a matter or time or since these are 4-6 years old, if it hasn't shown itself yet, will it?
No guarantee, but likely not.

Plati

Reaction score
...I'm looking at this week are a 2012 and a 2014 - "IF" they don't have any paint issues now at this point, should I still expect it? Is it only a matter or time or since these are 4-6 years old, if it hasn't shown itself yet, will it?
IMHO ... you should EXPECT it to happen, even if it has not happened yet. That way when it does, you dont poop your pants!

This is what my 2014 EL looks like, which is not what it looked like a year ago .. I do not think (not certain). Which by the way SUCKS
IMG_0154.JPG

Maybe there is a "model year" when the problem ceased to exist?
Does anyone know this?