Paint Bubbling, We need EVERYONE to register a complaint! READ FORDS RESPONSE!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
03 thru 08 were stamped and assembled in Wayne, MI.
2009's were stamped and assembled simultaneously in both Wayne and Louisville.
10+ were stamped and assembled in Louisville.

I'm eager to hear more about the contamination in the Louisville plant.
Or was it Wayne?

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I'm eager to hear more about the contamination in the Louisville plant.
Or was it Wayne?

Both, My guess is the contamination happens at the supplier.

Last edited:

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Any aluminum body panel stamped in a plant that also stamps steel is likely to get cross contamination. With the F150 and other all aluminum body vehicles, Ford has taken extra steps to prevent this from occurring.

I think the "pickling" done when the aluminum sheet is rolled out also makes a difference to cross contamination.

cmiles97

Full Access Members
Reaction score
When shopping around I found used Expeditions, Grand Cherokee's & Nissan Titans titans to be much lower in price to similar Sequoias, Lexus LXs, & GM SUVs. This may be one of the factors for that.

On the other hand, I never buy any used vehicle that spent time in any rust belt state. I passed on quite a few before I found this Expedition that spent it's year in Tennessee.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
*snip*

the picture with bubbling i bet the issue started when the steal fastener was put through the alum skin and failure of a seal coating or lack thereof caused the reaction to start.
*snip*

That's no-doubt a contributor and explains why it's worse where parts are attached, but it's bubbling all over, including spots isolated from any hardware. Check the area under the glass.

Same goes for the hood on my truck. It's bubbling in places far removed from mounting hardware or damage from road debris.

99WhiteC5Coupe

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A lot of information about aluminum corrosion and possible repairs.

However, the fact remains that Ford has done a miserable job for years of preparing and painting the aluminum hood and hatch panels on the Expedition and Navigator.

The defect is not caused by the lack of care or maintenance by the vehicle owners. Ford has been aware of the issue for years, and chose not to determine the root cause and change its manufacturing processes that causes it.

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Are any of you corrosion techs really
Researching this issue? There isn’t a fix. Several people have had redos and the fixes failed. It has nothing to do with steel fasteners. It’s well know you can’t use steel fasteners in aluminum. When ford stamped the panels they accidentally introduced steel contamination into the aluminum. No one has been able to successfully repaint these pieces with long term success. Just because your 2016 doesn’t have issues yet doesn’t mean it won’t. My 2015 with 83,000 miles on it doesn’t have issues yet either but I have no doubt they will surface eventually. Not knocking your skills or experience but take someone’s messed up hood and liftgate, Fix it permanently, and you’ll have my respect.

That steel hood for sale online, is that completely legit? That would be an easy and cheap solution.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

not sure how body shop guys and gals are trained around the country. the shop here we use has two separate buildings for body work. One is completely isolated from the other, tools are even colored different. He did this to meet the insurance repair criteria, especially those who warrant repair for life of ownership .

stamping alum parts, could be a source of contamination, but its not likely. Contamination most likely occurs during post stamping handling, surface cleansing and treatment, along with handling prior to installation.
YES you can attach ferrous and non ferrous fasteners to alum and HAVE zero corrosion. we use high stress fasteners everyday and they don't induce corrosion, we follow strict guidelines and therefore the result is no failure of protective barriers and expected life of said parts.
asking auto builders to adhere to this type of detail.....well its not going to happen. but they do have rigorous engineering specifications to follow. and yes growing pains almost always ensue when new materials are used. that does not excuse improper assembly.
jags, range rovers, volvos, bmws, etc all suffer the same issues.

to repair the doors, hood or panels.
if the skin on these parts is damaged beyond strength requirements, then you cut in a patch or replace the panel.
new panels should be double checked for etch and proper primer and no damage. then install according to the engineering requirement, and yes engineers are not perfect. and yes cost versus outcome plays a major part to guidelines.

manufacturers spend much money ensuring items don't fail within prescribed timelines. but humans operate the machines and humans do make mistakes. you never buy a car that was built on monday or friday, why??? humans.
DRAINAGE and water intrusion is ALSO very key.
any where water or contaminates get into, has to drain or be easily rinsed out.
our back lift door has several areas, that need attention in regards to water intrusion.
I have sealed a few seams as added protection, but i am wired that way. and my vehicle gets washed from the under frame and nooks ad crannies to remove as much road grit as possible.
and yes i spent years flying all over the world training aircraft technicians the methods to this madness.

Drae

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That steel hood for sale online, is that completely legit? That would be an easy and cheap solution.

I sure hope it is. It's way less complicated and cheaper than finding someone to repair it here in Alaska. The shipping wasn't horrible either. I'll try to get it within a month and get it painted.

Muddy Bean

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Do tell us if a magnet sticks to it. If they indeed are making aftermarket steel hoods, I’m all in. Now to find someone making a steel liftgate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

bobmbx

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Since the consensus about the cause is galvanic, I wonder if attaching a sacrificial zinc somewhere would slow or stop the corrosion. Give those electrons an easy target.

The Navy has been doing it for years.06SwiftBoatSacrificialAnode.jpg

Granted, its messy (nasty white powder as it does its job), and finding a place to install it could be troublesome.