Platinum - 400HP Rating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

prenticect

Reaction score
Does anyone here know how they added 25HP to the Platinum series? I see it needs PRemium Fuel, but physical differences are in the truck? The CPU only? So far I cannot figure out how they got the increase. Since I will be owning one here in about 6 hours... I want to know things about parts/fixes/maintenance, etc that is different from the default motor. Thanks.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My understanding is the increase is just software tuning differences between the models except for the Timberline and Stealth Performance which have different engine parts (like the turbos and other items I believe). I'm sure others can provide more info.

As for fuel, premium is recommended but not required to operate the engine. You will get more performance with premium vs regular.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These are twin turbo engines with electronically controlled wastegates. Wastegates are the devices in turbo engines that control the boost. A change in the software program increases boost, which increases horsepower. In the Ford F150 Raptor a similar version of this engine makes 450HP and in the Ford GT supercar, it makes 600HP.

As far as fuel, higher boost levels require higher octane fuel. While some of these 3.5L TT engines can run on regular (87 octane) fuel, they run better on premium. The higher HP versions of the engine, requires Premium Fuel.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are twin turbo engines with electronically controlled wastegates. Wastegates are the devices in turbo engines that control the boost. A change in the software program increases boost, which increases horsepower. In the Ford F150 Raptor a similar version of this engine makes 450HP and in the Ford GT supercar, it makes 600HP.

As far as fuel, higher boost levels require higher octane fuel. While some of these 3.5L TT engines can run on regular (87 octane) fuel, they run better on premium. The higher HP versions of the engine, requires Premium Fuel.
There are trade offs. HO gives up significant low end torque, the Raptor 3.5 makes significantly less low end torque than its predecessor 6.2 V8. To achieve higher top end power the turbo needs to spool later in the rev band.
IMG_5299.jpeg

Last edited:

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Directly from the 2022 manual:

Fuel Quality - Selecting the Correct Fuel​

SELECTING THE CORRECT FUEL​

Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer.

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance.
For additional information, visit www.toptiergas.com.

Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

Do not use:
  • Diesel fuel.
  • Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
  • Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
  • Fuels containing methanol.
  • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
  • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
  • Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.

rd618

Full Access Members
Reaction score
There are trade offs. HO gives up significant low end torque, the Raptor 3.5 makes significantly less low end torque than its predecessor 6.2 V8. To achieve higher top end power the turbo needs to spool later in the rev band.

There is no replacement for displacement.

Until you weigh the pros/cons relative to 85% of the buyer's utility requirements, it becomes apparent that the HO engines are marketing's fantastic ability to convince people they don't want to be "that person" with less power.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Directly from the 2022 manual:

Fuel Quality - Selecting the Correct Fuel​

SELECTING THE CORRECT FUEL​

Your vehicle operates on regular unleaded gasoline with a minimum pump (R+M)/2 octane rating of 87.
Some fuel stations, particularly those in high altitude areas, offer fuels posted as regular unleaded gasoline with an octane rating below 87. The use of these fuels could result in engine damage that will not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer. See Towing a Trailer.

Do not be concerned if the engine sometimes knocks lightly. However, if the engine knocks heavily while using fuel with the recommended octane rating, contact an authorized dealer to prevent any engine damage.

We recommend Top Tier detergent gasolines, where available to help minimize engine deposits and maintain optimal vehicle and engine performance.
For additional information, visit www.toptiergas.com.

Note: Use of any fuel for which the vehicle was not designed can impair the emission control system, cause loss of vehicle performance, and cause damage to the engine which may not be covered by the vehicle Warranty.

Do not use:
  • Diesel fuel.
  • Fuels containing kerosene or paraffin.
  • Fuel containing more than 15% ethanol or E85 fuel.
  • Fuels containing methanol.
  • Fuels containing metallic-based additives, including manganese-based compounds.
  • Fuels containing the octane booster additive, methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl (MMT).
  • Leaded fuel, using leaded fuel is prohibited by law.
The use of fuels with metallic compounds such as methylcyclopentadienyl manganese tricarbonyl, which is a manganese-based fuel additive, will impair engine performance and affect the emission control system.
The 400HP and 440HP version of this engine certainly does not put out the full rated HP when running on 87 fuel, that is alluded to in this statement from above.
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.

2018ExpyPlatinum

Full Access Members
Reaction score
As a reminder....even though the MANUAL says 91, the brochure (remember them?) for my 2018 states, 400 HP on 93 octane. Many stations, especially out here, DO NOT have 93. I do not run premium any more. It runs fine on regular, but, I'll admit, it does run a bit better on premium. If I do "top it off" above half a tank, I sometimes fill it with premium.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The 400HP and 440HP version of this engine certainly does not put out the full rated HP when running on 87 fuel, that is alluded to in this statement from above.
Correct. And no where did I state that it did.