Platinum - 400HP Rating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AJ82

Full Access Members
Reaction score
For what it is worth, the 2022 order guide states this note for the limited, king ranch, and platform (not the others, not to say it simply isn't an error):

"Horsepower and torque ratings based on premium fuel per SAE J1349® standard. Your results may vary."

Attachments

• Screenshot_20231019-164907.png
    Screenshot_20231019-164907.png
    154.3 KB · Views: 17
Last edited:

GixxerJasen

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Normal practice is to rate at recommended fuel. That is 87 octane on the expedition.
You keep saying this even though I quoted the owners manual showing 87 is the minimum supported, not the recommended. Why do you keep saying that 87 is the recommended fuel, please show us where it says that.

jjscsix

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You keep saying this even though I quoted the owners manual showing 87 is the minimum supported, not the recommended. Why do you keep saying that 87 is the recommended fuel, please show us where it says that.
The post above clarifies that is is based upon premium. So I was wrong. The reason I kept saying it is that the information in the manual is vague. I agree they never used the word “recommended” but they also were wishy washy about the recommendation for premium. They stated that it is recommended for towing and hot weather.

OP
OP
P

prenticect

Reaction score
Thanks for all the answers and interesting back and forth. SO it is a software enhancement, the parts are still the same. It will be interesting to see if I feel any difference between fuel types. Not like I can test HP with the different fuel types. I am coming from a 17, so a Gen1 motor and this is Gen 2 and the 10sp, so there are significant differences for me personally already. The engine also sounds "stronger". obviously an exhaust change in some manner. Unsure how my previous one with the tow package did not have a limited slip???? Ford was weird in my previous setup, also had a high rear gear? But with qa 3.73 limited and 4x4... this truck can launch :) But good to know what is what for the increase in power. Thanks again.

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
SCREENSHOT FROM MY 2019 MANUAL.
Screenshot 2023-10-23 111105.png
Also from manual:
For best overall vehicle and engine performance, premium fuel with an octane rating of 91 or higher is recommended. The performance gained by using premium fuel is most noticeable in hot weather as well as other conditions, for example when towing a trailer.

I'm in Florida and ran my own tests. And I usually drive in normal mode around town and ECO on the highway.
My results were so minimal I stay with regular gas unless I feel the need for 91 octane.

OP
OP
P

prenticect

Reaction score
Curious with this crowd. Can I add an octane boost vs going to 91 oct (or 93)? I would want to do the math of cost of the additive vs the increased fuel cost. Thanks :)

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
In the summer when I tow, I use 93/94. Whatever the highest is at the pump. However, when towing season is over and things are cooler. I'm just using 89. I'll save the 50 cents a gallon and I haven't felt a difference. This thing still merges with authority. Not even close to the floor.
My last Expy was a 2011. I'll take this thing any day. Fake exhaust/engine noise and all.

JimmyM

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Curious with this crowd. Can I add an octane boost vs going to 91 oct (or 93)? I would want to do the math of cost of the additive vs the increased fuel cost. Thanks :)
Quoted from above. No octane boosters with MMT.
No idea about adding Xylene

Mr Big

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I know results vary. However, I've never really noticed much difference between 87 octane and 93 octane that was significant. But Sport mode on my 400hp Platinum is a huge difference in performance. I'm sure others have similar and totally different results, but I chalked it up to a placebo effect.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edyk1986