Play in the drivers seat track

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Hi!

Is the drivers seat track serviceable? I have a bit of play in mine and it seems the play is at the fixed "nut" for the worm gear. Is this part possible to service? Or is the only solution to replace the track?

'05 Expy EB 4x4 5.4

OP
OP
S

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'll have to order a T55 torx plus bit so I can remove the seat from the truck, I think it's possible to disassemble the track when looking at it but can't get to it without that torx bit. :)

OP
OP
S

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had the seat out today and had a look at how it's assembled. With a little trickery to drive the motor, and removing two pins holding the gearboxes for the acme drives in place, it should be possible to separate the tracks. In that way, it should be possible to replace parts in them, but here's the problem:

The worn parts are the nuts. I suspect it's specially evident on those who uses the Easy entry/exit feature where the seat goes back a couple of inches when you remove the key, and goes back when you insert it again. The nuts are non-standard threaded metal blocks with two screw holes in them. I also suspect that the thread pitch on the acme drive is non-standard, but I haven't measured it. It could be possible to have a machine shop fabricate new threaded metal blocks, but I have no idea what the cost might be. So it's either making new nuts, or replacing the tracks...

OP
OP
S

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Which part would you like to have pics of? I did not separate the tracks to expose the acme completely as I didn't have the pins for reassembling the little gearboxes handy and I need to have the truck working.. :) I can get a pic of the nuts, as there's an opening in the lower track that you can see them through. I'm contemplating the cost of repairing the tracks VS new tracks, so not sure what I'll do here.

OP
OP
S

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yeah, exactly. Though used ones might have the same issue.. hehe.. It's not on the top of my list anyway, it works as it is for now. If it bothers me too much I'll just lock it in place and disable the easy entry feature, but it works well enough for now. When I'm done with other more important things, I might look into replacing the tracks, or perhaps the seat. My biggest gripe is the shipping cost, shipping those oversized things internationally can get pretty expensive... hehe

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lahurry