Please help the newby

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ebforce

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and I would greatly appreciate some pointers. I do not want to rehash old threads, but please point me what to search for.

Quickly about myself. I have two BMWs at the moment, but with the second kid and a babysitter it is getting really tight. In addition to that, we spend much time outdoors, biking, kayaking, etc., so I have a lot of gear and I am sick and tired of messing with my multiple roof racks every time I need a few 2x4s Generally, I am highly technical, with in-depth understanding of automotive design.

Bottom line I am shopping for an Expedition, but I know next to nothing about the vehicle ownership experience other then the size/specs look about right and I do not want a minivan because of lack or 4WD and ground clearance issues. That being said I am thinking to pick up something with under 50k miles circa 2007. I would like to keep it for about 10 years with about 5k/year mileage (weekends and winter driving). I tend to do most repairs myself.

Thanks much, Igor

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if they have the service manuals for 07+ on Ebay, but I spent 30 bucks on mine. Worth it.

I think this is the guy I got mine from: Click Me. It has the service manual for all 07 Fords. It might come with more years since mine was advertised 03, but has 2000-2003 Ford/Lincoln/Mercury.

Last edited:
OP
OP
E

ebforce

Reaction score
Thanks, that is a good point.

I guess I am curious if there are specific weak points in certain post '07 model years to watch out for or if there are hidden ownership expanses that someone may not realize (excluding the gas).

Thanks, Igor

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know there's a couple members here with 07+ Expys that might chime in. The only thing I might think of off the top of my head would be the plugs. I'm not sure when they redesigned the heads on the 3V 5.4, but spark plug removal could be a PITA (think broken plugs) if you get one with close to 100k miles.

cwshakey

Reaction score
I have an 06 expedition and it is pretty much the same as the 07. The biggest problem....and I know this from experience is changing the plugs. Two piece plugs that come apart easily I would change at 70,000 miles and use some penetrating oil in plug wells for as long as you can wait to let it set especially cylinders 4 and 8 I guess cause they get the hottest and tend to freeze in there. You may need to buy a 100 dollar tool if you break them, but once you work on it once or twice you can pretty much cruise through.

Carlossan

Reaction score
2007 Ford Expedition "MotorTrend Truck of Year"

I purchased my Expy in August of 2007 I never being more satisfied with a vehicle ever, my first brand new car was a 1990 Chevy cavalier, and my last new truck before the expy was a 2002 Dodge Ram 4x4, over the years I drove different brands to include a brand new 1995 4x4 jeep Cherokee, and a 2002 4x4 GMC Yukon, None of this vehicles came even close to all the aspects of an SUV, No truck has being more usefull than the 07 Expedition however due to the need for space I went for the EL XLT, I was lucky someone specially ordered this one with most of the amenities of a Limited however He never pick it up. I got it for almost 10 grand below window price and the only problem I ever had was the DVD system fail after 6 months (I think my youngest and his PS3 had to do something to do with this) The complete system was replaced free of charge so far after 70,000 miles, most of them driven in Mexico and California a new set of tires, and all brakes replace The Expedition its in excellent conditions. I still get 20-21 mpg and 14-15 in the city.I believed you should look for a new one there is a few 2008 brand new stuck at dealers my friend got one in Vegas it was a El Limited 2008 4x4 fully loaded window price was 52,000 he got it for 38,000 out the door.

Good Luck
CarlosSan

bnvus

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had 125K miles on my 2005 Limited before I traded it in this year for the 2010. That Expedition was single handedly the best truck I have ever owned. The only thing I had to replace in that was brakes, (60K) serpentine belt (80K) and a battery (100K).

Now, I had a 2003 prior that had a lot of issues with it. Window regulators, brake dust, rear heater core leak for starters. Can't remember some of the other problems.

Eric

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I had some of the same issues you have but I was replacing my 1995 Tahoe. I switched to the Ford simply for the fold flat 3rd row seat, Chevy has missed the boat on that feature.

Anyway after researching 2004 through 2008 models I bought a 2005, main reasons were that in 05 the 5.4 motor went up to 300hp. Second I spoke to a good friend of mine who rebuilds transmissions and his personal opinion was to stay away from the 6 speed transmissions that Ford started using in 2006, he said he sees a lot of them fail early and they are VERY expensive to rebuild. Now with that said that is just his opinion others could have different experience or views. Since I tow a lot this was a concern for me. I also found that from 2006 to current the number of Expeditions manufactured has dropped significantly, so the newer they are the less there are of them for sale, meaning you may have to look a while before you find the one you want. Lots of 2005's are coming off their leases and I know in my area they seem to be the most common model year on the lots, meaning they are dealing on them, you may not have a budget issue like I had though. Mine had 43,000 miles on it when I bought it last month, but mine was from private party......those 43,000 miles cost him $22,000 in depreciation by the way.

I too do most of my own repairs, but don't expect to do much engine work on these newer vehicles, they are very complex and without computer diagnostics you can chase your tail all day trying to find what is wrong. I resigned myself to brakes and general maintenence now.

Last edited:

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as you change your plugs in a timely manner, that 5.4 shouldn't give too many problems :)