please help

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

CJL2003

Reaction score
I am looking for help fixing the problem with my 2003 expedition. It keeps putting up a (P0171) code ( running lean bank 1 ), and I have done everything possible with a mechanics help. we have even as they call it " smoked " the vacuum lines and no leaks. And yes I have replaced the gas cap two (2) times. The mechanics computer/ code reader says that all sensers are fine but we cleaned them up to be safe. Any ideas anyone ???

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
changed plugs and cops? check manifold? I don't know what it could just throwing things out there

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
P0171 - System to Lean (Bank 1) The Adaptive Fuel Strategy continuously monitors fuel delivery hardware. The test fails when the adaptive fuel tables reach a rich calibrated limit. Refer to Section 1 , Powertrain Control Software, Fuel Trim for more information.

Air Measurement System
MAF sensor (contaminated, damaged, malfunctioning, etc.)
Fuel System
Fuel pressure regulator (leaking, malfunctioning, etc.).
Fuel filter plugged, dirty.
Fuel pump (weak, check valve leaking, etc.).
Leaking/contaminated fuel injectors.
Low fuel pressure or running out of fuel.
EVAP canister purge valve leaking (when canister is "clean").
Fuel supply line restricted.
Fuel rail pressure sensor (incorrect reading).

Air Induction System
Air leaks after the MAF.
Vacuum Leaks.
PCV system (leak, valve stuck open, etc.)
Improperly seated engine oil dipstick.

Exhaust System
Exhaust leaks before or near the HO2Ss (exhaust manifold gasket, mating gaskets, etc.)..

EGR System
EGR valve tube/gasket leak
EVR solenoid vacuum leak

Secondary Air Injection
Damaged/malfunctioning secondary air injection system (mechanically stuck valve).

View Freeze Frame Data to determine operating conditions when DTC was set. Observe LONGFT1 and 2 PID(s). Refer to Section 2 , Adaptive Fuel DTCs Diagnostic Techniques for more information.

Last edited:

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Fuel Trim
Short Term Fuel Trim

If the oxygen sensors are warmed up and the PCM determines that the engine can operate near stoichiometric air/fuel ratio (14.7 to 1 for gasoline), the PCM goes into closed loop fuel control mode. Since an oxygen sensor can only indicate rich or lean, the fuel control strategy must constantly adjust the desired air/fuel ratio rich and lean to get the oxygen sensor to "switch"around the stoichiometric point. If the time between switches are the same, then the system is actually operating at stoichiometry. The desired air/fuel control parameter is called short term fuel trim (SHRTFT1 and 2) where stoichiometry is represented by 0%. Richer (more fuel) is represented by a positive number and leaner (less fuel) is represented by a negative number. Normal operating range for short term fuel trim is +/- 25%. Some calibrations will have time between switches and short term fuel trim excursions that are not equal. These unequal excursions are used to run the system slightly lean or rich of stoichiometry. This practice is referred to as using "bias". For example, the fuel system can be biased slightly rich during closed loop fuel to help reduce NOx.

Values for SHRTFT1 and 2 may change a great deal on a scan tool when the engine is operated at different rpm and load points. This is because SHRTFT1 and 2 will react to fuel delivery variability that can change as a function of engine rpm and load. Short term fuel trim values are not retained after the engine is turned off.

Long Term Fuel Trim

While the engine is operating in closed loop fuel, the short term fuel trim corrections can be "learned" by the PCM as long term fuel trim (LONGFT1 and 2) corrections. These corrections are stored in keep alive memory (KAM) in tables that are referenced by engine speed and load (and by bank for engines with two HO2S sensors forward of the catalyst). Learning the corrections in KAM improves both open loop and closed loop air/fuel ratio control. Advantages include:

Short term fuel trim does not have to generate new corrections each time the engine goes into closed loop.
Long term fuel trim corrections can be used both while in open loop and closed loop modes.
Long term fuel trim is represented as a percentage, just like short term fuel trim, however it is not a single parameter. There is a separate long term fuel trim value that is used for each rpm/load point of engine operation. Long term fuel trim corrections may change depending on the operating conditions of the engine (rpm and load), ambient air temperature and fuel quality (% alcohol, oxygenates, etc.). When viewing the LONGFT1/2 PID(s), the values may change a great deal as the engine is operated at different rpm and load points. The LONGFT1/2 PID(s) will display the long term fuel trim correction that is currently being used at that rpm/load point.

OP
OP
C

CJL2003

Reaction score
All sound good, I've done some but will try all the others, fingers crossed that one of the suggestions will work. Thanks from CJL2003

Bedrck47

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did you figure it out?
:patriot:

Do you really expect a reply from him? He hasn't been back on the forum since Aug.
This is typical of many new members They ask their questions, Get replies. And are never heard from again and can't take the time to leave a update.

Mike White

Reaction score
Do you really expect a reply from him?

Nope. Just making readers aware that not following up leaves readers hanging.

I noticed that after I joined...there so many open ended questions and problems. I was about to post in regards to this, but who am I.

I don't have and errors or any issues at the moment, I just wanted CJL2003 to post his findings for others.

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Mike, you'll get used to it. Over 40 percent ask for help, but never get back to us. I used to tell friends and strangers alike, don't ask my advice about your vehicle if your not going to take it. Some people are just that way and will never change. It's a waste of all this great diagnostic talent, but we keep trying. I guess we're optimistic that the next guy or girl, does listen, and 60 percent do. My percentages are probably off, don't shoot me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tcwaltz

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think alot of people don't realize that the feedback goes a long way to confirming trends in failures in a vehicle. I find that to be the case with computers as well. I'm an IT consultant. I actually had a client complain because I was googling an error that popped up on a machine. It wasn't one I was familiar with. Her comment was, "well I could have googled it". Well sure you could have,but odds are that #1 you don't know what you are looking at and #2 you likely won't find the exact same issue. What you'll find is what that is similar that can put me on the right course to fixing your issue quickly. OR I can simply go through the normal process of elimination trying to resolve your issue. The google right may help me get done in an hour or I can spend 5 or 6 trying to figure out the root cause...your choice.

Its like this in these forums. Sometimes someone has the exact problem. Sometimes its similar and puts people on the right path to resolving the issue, but if people never indicate that the problem was fixed you lose some helpful info.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
expresspedition