Plug pieces fell in

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Alansd

Reaction score
My tech was replacing the plugs and all of them broke.
He knows what he is doing or at least I think he does been going there for many years.
One plug part fell in to the cylinder and he is trying to get it out, says he will have to remove the intake to do it.
Holy crap when does this end? The Ford dealer wanted 400 to do it o matter how many plugs broke. I guess I should have gone there. Now I am not sure how much its gonna be.

SUX

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If he can get it out by just pulling the intake he's the man. Usually you end up pulling the head off to get stuff out of the cylinder. Depending on the mileage you may consider taking both heads off and sending them out for valve work.

OP
OP
A

Alansd

Reaction score
It just got towed to the Ford dealer. They said bring it on, no problem. My guy gave up.
I am paying for the tow and he ate the other cost including the set of plugs.
I told him to stick a shop vac with a small hose taped to it in the hole and give that a try, but they suggested the dealer.
This dealer charges 400 a set for plug changes no matter how many break. That's why I shoulda gone there first.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
common theme with them breaking in the motor...I let ford do it and they kept it for a day and half cuz they broke off...after they charge you might as well have went to them to begin with...

OP
OP
A

Alansd

Reaction score
this dealer charges $400 no matter how many plugs break off. But in my case I am not sure what the bill will be. I screwed up by not using them in the first place, I know that.
It will go there again after 50,000 more miles and get it done next time.
Just to be safe it ' s well worth the 400.

OP
OP
A

Alansd

Reaction score
so it was 400 for the plug replacement. 4 cylinders had junk in them. No charge for the removal of that. But 900 to put everything back together with new gaskets and a cooling system flush...painful.
Then the next night on a road trip another coil failed. WTF. Had to get one to replace it right away.
Hope I am set for awhile now. She is running great. Finally.

igozumn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I really hated to do it when I did my intake gaskets, but I went ahead and replaced all my coils. Maybe it'll save a hot side of the road repair. Maybe not. But I won't worry about them as much now.

GAINMOB

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
if all plug were changed then u wont need to do it until 100K later