Potential new '05 owner

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I read somewhere, this a 10 hour job(aprx $1000). They make a kit with new chains, tensioner and phasers for $700-$800. An engine swap is a 6-7 hour job(less with intake, manifolds and accessories). Find a Ford tech, looking for some side work. It is not a hard job, just time consuming. There was a Ford tech on youtube, that swaps the phasers, with only removing valve covers and few items. He claims it is a Ford approved procedure. It looks like maybe a 2 hour job. Ford makes a special tool(cheese tool) to hold the chain in place. This repair is probably a quarter of the full repair.

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
That’s basically saying avoid 03-17’ Expeditions. We all drive the same trucks... just little differences.

Buddy u don't own one of them so you don't know the feeling... go buy one and report back in a year otherwise **** lol seriously go buy one and report back otherwise u honest don' know the nightmare we live among

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
I read somewhere, this a 10 hour job(aprx $1000). They make a kit with new chains, tensioner and phasers for $700-$800. An engine swap is a 6-7 hour job(less with intake, manifolds and accessories). Find a Ford tech, looking for some side work. It is not a hard job, just time consuming. There was a Ford tech on youtube, that swaps the phasers, with only removing valve covers and few items. He claims it is a Ford approved procedure. It looks like maybe a 2 hour job. Ford makes a special tool(cheese tool) to hold the chain in place. This repair is probably a quarter of the full repair.

I can find a mechanic to do it for less than half of what you just stated but w/ a big job like that a mistake will be chaostrofic so you pay a shop to get peace of mind and reassurance that if it fails in a certin time period labor and parts will be replaced free of charge.​

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buddy u don't own one of them so you don't know the feeling... go buy one and report back in a year otherwise **** lol seriously go buy one and report back otherwise u honest don' know the nightmare we live among

Confused.... I don’t own one? I was unaware. The same truck down to the bone other than plastic dash and two headlights?? Oh! And hood!

Last edited:

Habbibie

Is it Christmas yet?
Reaction score
U forgot the WHOLE point. The engine before Ford worked out all it's tweaks

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Only difference in the whole thing is the actual camphasers the entirety of the VCT is the same other than the two phaser wheels themselves.