Power adjustable pedal and seat problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Bdons_expy

Reaction score
Hey guys, I have an 05 Eddie Bauer with power adjustable pedals and seats with the seat/pedal memory deal. The memory switch on the door panel has never worked 100% it will light up but quickly goes out and never lets us program it. Didn't really bother us since it's something we don't really care about using. Until recently it started resetting the seat position on its own, then when you'd move the seat back where you want it(while the car is running), it would reset back to default right away. It will sometimes do this one or two times before it stays. It's a slight annoyance but I didn't feel like throwing parts at it right away until I could track down the culprit, this is my wife's car so I rarely drive it and the default seat setting is perfect for her so it rarely gets used.

Now the pedals are resetting themselves as well. They're sticking in the "all the way up" setting, the switch will not allow me to adjust them at all most of the time. Sometimes it will let me adjust it after a bit of driving, usually by the time we are out of the driveway. I move them all the way down and it's fine until I shut the car off, then it's the same thing when I hop back in. If written off the cracked gear since the pedals have full range of motion when the switch works.

If it were one or the other I would assume a bad switch or motor, but since it's the seat and pedals I'm leaning towards the memory switch since it hasn't worked since we bought the car. I tried searching the forum but it's tough to sift through all of the broken gear threads, this seems more like an electrical problem. It's almost like its defaulting to the previous owners settings and sticking there and not letting us reprogram or reset anything.

I was wondering if anyone can give me an idea of where to start that I haven't thought of. Maybe there is a "key on" switch or something that's gone bad that won't allow the memory switch to work, maybe someone can just shed some light on this so I can better understand how the whole thing works. I'm great at the mechanics of vehicles, electrical is my weak point. I've ruled out fuses since it's an intermittent problem, sometimes it does it, sometimes it doesn't. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Try this: Remove the black cover around the door handle, then pry up the panel with the switches. Then disconnect the memory switch and see if the issue continues. Might be that one of the memory buttons are stuck on, and always tries to set that position.

OP
OP
B

Bdons_expy

Reaction score
Try this: Remove the black cover around the door handle, then pry up the panel with the switches. Then disconnect the memory switch and see if the issue continues. Might be that one of the memory buttons are stuck on, and always tries to set that position.

I'll give it a shot, thanks!

OP
OP
B

Bdons_expy

Reaction score
Disconnecting the switch made no difference. Is there a central switch/relay/module that controls the whole auto adjust system? Maybe I can by pass that for troubleshooting?

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The driver seat module controls both the seats and the brake pedals and possibly mirrors. The service manual says this is a programmable module so you don't have many options other than try a connector reseat, new module or kill power once it is in the position you want.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The best you can do at this point is to buy a bluetooth OBD dongle and run FORScan on a laptop with Windows, then run a self test on the DSM - Drivers Seat Module. I use the OBDLink MX (99 bucks on Amazon), but if you search around a little you may find cheaper alternatives. It is imperative that whatever module you buy supports MS CAN, the OBDLink MX is one I know supports it out of the box without modifications. 99 bucks is still cheaper than going to a dealer.. :)

If there's an issue, it will pop up as a code when you do the self test. If there's no codes, then you can use FORScan to look at the different PIDs on the DSM and see what is going on, but that depends on how technically skilled you are.

OP
OP
B

Bdons_expy

Reaction score
Thanks for the help, guys. I'll look closer at the DSM and see if I can figure it out.

As far as the Obd dongle as described, that won't be an option as I run Apple computers. A replacement module at $200-$250 would be my cheapest option. I would NEVER take either of my fords to a dealership, I rarely take any of my vehicles to shops period. I don't know much about the electrical on my expy since we've only had it for 6 months or so, but I'm quick at learnin. I know my Superduty inside and out though ha ha. I've just never owned anything with "luxury options" before so this is new territory for me.

What I can do is pull the DSM from my dads 04, pop it into mine and test it that way.

Is there anyway to bypass the DSM? Just to free up the pedals until I track down a replacement, if it turns out to be my problem.

Skauber

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Perhaps you can borrow a Windows laptop? Or perhaps run Windows in bootcamp? Its by far the cheapest solution if you have the skills to troubleshoot. Google Forscan to find their website, they have iOS, Android and Windows editons available, the Windows version is the only one that can run self tests and stuff, but the mobile apps can read PIDs and such.

OP
OP
B

Bdons_expy

Reaction score
I'll look into it. My buddy has a pc, I re-welded his control arm bracket on his jeep so he owes me a favor ha ha. Sounds like it's a handy tool to have. I have a strong dislike of computers though so I'm not excited about it ha ha. I prefer the old fashioned way but it sounds like I need to give in to the machines.

For reference, I'm 28 and I can barely sync my phone to my computer successfully. I use forums and craigslist, I'm not even on the Facebook ha ha.

I appreciate all the help, guys! The wife will be home soon with the car so I'll see what I can do with what I have for right now.

OP
OP
B

Bdons_expy

Reaction score
Alright, so I went out to fiddle with the DSM and recheck some wires and the pedal switch and junk. I found something odd.. The pedal adjustment only works when the head/fog/running lights are on. The second I switch the lights off the pedals move right back to the "up" position. I disconnected the plug to the motor to keep the pedals in the "down" position but obviously I still want to get this issue resolved.

Does anyone know if there is a link between the headlight switch and the pedal adjustment switch? I'm going to dive into it again tomorrow when I can see again, my portable shop light just broke so I'll have to pick up another one of those to make life a little easier.