PRNDL Indicator Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

bronsonb

Reaction score
Has anyone ever had to replace the PRNDL indicator in their Expedition? I had the issue many folks have had where the indicator was off by one or two positions (reading "R" when the car was in the Park, for example). I attempted to adjust the indicator using the black knob, but then the small wire snapped. I've managed to recrimp it, but it's too short to adjust properly in that it still reads "R" when it's really in Park, and I cannot adjust it any further.

So it looks like I need to replace the cable. Has anyone ever done that before, and if so, how difficult is it? I heard the part is less than $40 at the dealership, so I am willing to give it a try. I'd rather do it myself than spend $200 for Ford to do it (plus waste a day leaving the truck with them).

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Bronson B
Marietta GA

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Has anyone ever had to replace the PRNDL indicator in their Expedition? I had the issue many folks have had where the indicator was off by one or two positions (reading "R" when the car was in the Park, for example). I attempted to adjust the indicator using the black knob, but then the small wire snapped. I've managed to recrimp it, but it's too short to adjust properly in that it still reads "R" when it's really in Park, and I cannot adjust it any further.

So it looks like I need to replace the cable. Has anyone ever done that before, and if so, how difficult is it? I heard the part is less than $40 at the dealership, so I am willing to give it a try. I'd rather do it myself than spend $200 for Ford to do it (plus waste a day leaving the truck with them).

Any help you can provide will be appreciated.

Bronson B
Marietta GA

It should not be too difficult. I am in Cartersville Ga, if you need any help just lmk.

OP
OP
B

bronsonb

Reaction score
You're just up the road! We go by Cartersville whenever we head to my in-laws. They live in Guntersville, AL, and we go right by Cartesville on the state highways headed that way. Love the Ross Diner in downtown!

I had the PRNDL adjustment "thingy" detached today (the white block secured by a black screw), and I could see that it went up into the gauge cluster, but I was not able to see how it attached IN the gauge cluster.

I had to dash to get my kids from baseball practice, so I didn't have a chance to explore further, but it looked like it might simple detach under the cluster somehow. At least that's what I am hoping. I am going to attempt to detach it tomorrow, and if it comes out easily, I'll assume I can get a new one in easily.

Thanks for your offer.

tmajikman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You're just up the road! We go by Cartersville whenever we head to my in-laws. They live in Guntersville, AL, and we go right by Cartesville on the state highways headed that way. Love the Ross Diner in downtown!

I had the PRNDL adjustment "thingy" detached today (the white block secured by a black screw), and I could see that it went up into the gauge cluster, but I was not able to see how it attached IN the gauge cluster.

I had to dash to get my kids from baseball practice, so I didn't have a chance to explore further, but it looked like it might simple detach under the cluster somehow. At least that's what I am hoping. I am going to attempt to detach it tomorrow, and if it comes out easily, I'll assume I can get a new one in easily.

Thanks for your offer.

No problem, and Ross's has the best Chili Cheesburgers amongst other items as far as I am concerned, send me a pm if your ever in town bud.