Really struggling...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hunter991

Reaction score
The rebates on 2017 models are pretty good right now. Just don't know if i can stand to look at it in my garage. Its a giant square. The 2018's are much nicer looking but none of my dealers can tell me when i can order one. I keep hearing this summer, on the internet but the dealers can even tell me. i had one dealer tell me i can't get one until 2018 if you can believe that.

for those of you with 2017's, do you like them? any issues i should know about? i found a limited brand new for 50k with the options i want. Should i wait for the 2018?

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
You are in a pickle, check out the other ford forums they have the order date info. If i can recall, order banks open 6/25(order guides and configurator should be released) with job 1 build dates starting in august. They should be delivered to dealers nov/dec time frame. If the 17 has everything u want and nothing you dont and you can get past the look, get it. Thats a good price, however those 17 prices will go dwn even more when the 18s are released.

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The rebates on 2017 models are pretty good right now. Just don't know if i can stand to look at it in my garage. Its a giant square. The 2018's are much nicer looking but none of my dealers can tell me when i can order one. I keep hearing this summer, on the internet but the dealers can even tell me. i had one dealer tell me i can't get one until 2018 if you can believe that.

for those of you with 2017's, do you like them? any issues i should know about? i found a limited brand new for 50k with the options i want. Should i wait for the 2018?
I've had my 17 since February. It is wonderful. I have a 4X4 Limited EL with the high end options package - its loaded. My dad taught me to never buy the first year of a new model year for any vehicle. Now, things have gotten much better over the years but there still is some wisdom in waiting until they work out the bugs of the new design. I've never had a problem with the look of the 3rd gens, although the new one is starting to grow on me and I would like to have some of the features available on the 18. Mine is paid for so I don't see me buying another new one for at least 5 years which will be just about right.

It seems as if they always offer the new models with less options and then they keep adding new ones each year. Like only having 6 way power seats instead of 10 way on the 17, and things like that. I got some great discounts for mine and a decent price for my 05 trade in I was $60,000 out the door including tax and the $1000 Ziebart package I added to the purchase price. I would do it again but I would buy a Platinum and I would go with the Blue Jeans color but those are the only things I would do differently.

ManUpOrShutUp

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I think the '18 is hideous. If you feel the same way about the '17, nothing we say is going to matter. Don't buy a vehicle you're that uncertain about.

dlcorbett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
At the same time theres plenty of people within this forum alone that have 03/07 expys that are still runnin strong with no issues. Also, ford has been getting alot better with quality assurance and the interior has been out for years as well.

07xln

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Ive had my 17 for about 8 months now and love it. I got my Limited EL for $53K before my $20k trade in which I thought was a good price. I'm envious of the 18 because its getting a bigger motor. Well not bigger but the power/torque numbers are higher anyways. But with that said after seeing the max tow rating is only up 100lbs over the 17 model I'm not so envious anymore. I do a lot of towing with mine so I'm good with my 17

jeff kushner

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I very seriously doubt that you will find ANYONE that has a 2017 that doesn't love it! I bought mine in November for just under 54K out the door.....and I KNOW I got a great price. If you can get anything less than that for a fully loaded limited, you are doing quite well.

Here's the equation for you......

the '18 is for all practical purposes, a better truck...should have a better 3.5 engine(new version of it), 10 speed transmission as opposed to our 6 speed, certainly more and better tech and if you like it, different styling.

The unknowns are there as well.....will that engine be as good as the 17 version or are they changing manufacturing methods to raise profit level? Will the 10 speed be as bulletproof as the 6 has been? You might want to check the Raptor forums since they tend to get the latest drivetrains a year before the Expy's.

The 18 spec-wise, IS a better truck.....but when my '03EB transmission began to slip, it didn't really give me a choice although I certainly didn't NEED to buy another Expy since I live alone....but I did check this very forum and looked at page after page after page after page of NO 2014-17 drivetrain issues.....then I looked on the Chevy forum.....and didn't see that same absence of drivetrain issues.

I will soon turn 15,000 miles on my truck....and it's SWEET! I drive close to 100 miles a day, mix of highway and suburban roads, my MPG since brand new is up to 17.6. Not bad for a rocketship dressed like a big ass truck!

So I hope I've confused the heck out of you<LOL>.....in all honesty, I wasn't even aware that Ford was remodeling the Expy for '18 but it wouldn't have mattered to me anyway. I've never been the kind of person that really gives a crap about having the "latest" of anything....

Good luck with what ever you do,

jeff

powerboatr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
bottom line for me
is to buy what makes you happy and suits your needs
our 16 is wonderful, it provides all we need in a large SUV.
IT seats 6 real comfy and 7 pretty well.
i am sure the 18 will have plenty of WOW factor,

uberdog

Reaction score
I had to make the decision OP. I chose to buy now for the reasons most have already stated:

First and foremost: Great truck to drive. Smooth and ample power and transmission, quiet and comfortable, great steering and turning radius, just enough tech for my needs, etc.

The 2017 is the end of very long platform run and bugs are as worked out as they will ever be, parts are abundant, design well mapped, etc. That includes the current EB 3.5 engine, the 6spd trans, etc.

I agree the truck looks a bit dated, but I like what Ford did with the 2015 refresh and think the truck looks classic and will age well from a style point of view. I like boxy trucks like mid 70's K5 Blazers, mid-80's full size Broncos, etc. This Expedition has those elements that scream TRUCK. The new 2018 model, not so much... To each their own.

As others have already said, I will NEVER buy a first model year or anything. I wait three full years for a track record to develop. The biggest problem I have to watch for in the 2017 is bubbling paint on the aluminum hood and rear lift gate and carbon build up from the EB direct injectors.

Finally: price. I was able to get out the door for a great price. If could have waited a bit longer, I would have - but needed to replace a wrecked vehicle. The cost savings later this year should be amazing.