Rear brake pads worn

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

papaguido

Reaction score
2020 limited. After only 13k miles rear brake pads went from 6mm to 3mm. Front went from 7mm to 6mm. Why so much rear wear. Are the rear only brakes being used with active cruse control?

S20Workstation4

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, it has something to do with the AdvanceTrac system. I had the same thing on my 2019 Expy.

GlennSullivan

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Gen 3 Expys (have 2) are the first of the dozens of vehicles I have owned where the rear pads ALWAYS wear out before the front. What S20 said above does make sense though, if that is the case, where the rears are being applied by the vehicle AdvanceTrac / ABS system without drivers knowledge, then Ford should have increased the size of the rear pads and rotors to compensate for the increased usage.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This is pretty common across a lot of vehicles. My 2007 jeep wrangler is the same way. However, when you put new better pads on the rear they will last longer. I think the factory pads are low noise/low dust/organic pads and they wear really fast. Putting a good quality semi-mettalic or ceramic pad will net much better longevity.

VCFP153

Reaction score
That happened on my 2015, the rears were replaced at 45k miles, the fronts are still good now at 67k. The truck was previously owned by a Federal agency, God only knows how they drove it...

Dice Roll

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It’s the material. I turned off the adaptive cruise the first day I had it off the transporter. The rears are worn about twice as much at 30k than the fronts. Dealer said they didn’t wear as much this last year so I skated by. I’ll probably end up changing them myself next year.

Expoxone

Reaction score
The vehicle steers itself for lane assist using the rear brakes. If I could bet, I would, that the lane assist feature is on high, and that if you lower the setting, it will eat less pad. It's probably a combo of the lane assist and adaptive cruise if theyre eating fast.

HILLY

Reaction score
I have a base model XLT, no ADAS systems whatsoever. My rear pads were completely worn down when I replaced them vs. the fronts at about ~80% life. So I don't think anything like AAC or Lane Keeping has any bearing on this symptom.

I have heard that the brake system in these trucks are more heavily biased to the rears to reduce dive and are supposedly smoother when braking.

duneslider

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I have heard that the brake system in these trucks are more heavily biased to the rears to reduce dive and are supposedly smoother when braking.
No idea if this is true but what I do know is once I replaced the pads on mine with new pads the excessive wear in the rear went away.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chris7990