Rear Diff fluid change questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Plati

Reaction score
I've got a 2003XLT with limited slip. It leaks out one side shaft seal. I only drive this Beater local and it barely leaks on the short trips (just a drop or two). I take it out on the highway to fully warm it up every couple weeks and it leaks a little more when at speed. Instead of fixing the leak I'm going to just add some fluid every so often when I think it needs it.

I plan to use this stuff since I'm adding in increments
https://www.autozone.com/greases-an...l-synthetic-gear-oil-sae-75w-90-1-qt/1437_0_0

How does one know when its full?
Do you just add until it flows out the fill hole?
Could some please answer this question for me, please?

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Awesome, did you just pull the drain plug or use fluid extractor? I’m trying to keep this as cheap as possible so pulling plug and letting it drain seems to be easy enough

The rear and TC is simple. Open the top fill plug first. Then do your bottom drain plug. The factory uses red thread locker on both so torch them first or you will bugger up the plug (trust me).
Granted they are only $4 each. I replaced both plugs new plugs also come with red thread locker.

Pump one quart in, squeeze in your bottle of friction modifier (8oz I think), then using second quart pump till it just starts to drip out of the fill plug. Should be just shy of 2 quarts.

TC is same process except I did not need heat for those plugs as there was no thread locker and the TC is aluminum. Fill with just shy of 2 quarts of Ford Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid (use nothing but this fluid) these new TCs do not like the detergents in the multiapplication fluids.

Front differential is a touch more tricky you need to use an extractor in the fill plug to suck the oil out. Can be tough to wiggle the hose past the gears to get all the way to the bottom.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The rear and TC is simple. Open the top fill plug first. Then do your bottom drain plug. The factory uses red thread locker on both so torch them first or you will bugger up the plug (trust me).
Granted they are only $4 each. I replaced both plugs new plugs also come with red thread locker.

Pump one quart in, squeeze in your bottle of friction modifier (8oz I think), then using second quart pump till it just starts to drip out of the fill plug. Should be just shy of 2 quarts.

TC is same process except I did not need heat for those plugs as there was no thread locker and the TC is aluminum. Fill with just shy of 2 quarts of Ford Motorcraft Transfer Case Fluid (use nothing but this fluid) these new TCs do not like the detergents in the multiapplication fluids.

Front differential is a touch more tricky you need to use an extractor in the fill plug to suck the oil out. Can be tough to wiggle the hose past the gears to get all the way to the bottom.
I’m not very mechanically inclined, the front diff is only active in 4WD correct? So if my issue is the rear clutch packs sticking is it safe to just do the rear fluid and leave front fluid alone?

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I’m not very mechanically inclined, the front diff is only active in 4WD correct? So if my issue is the rear clutch packs sticking is it safe to just do the rear fluid and leave front fluid alone?

Yes. Just outlining each and their difference as sometimes since you are going to be under there anyway easier just to do them all.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes it is a quick dump and fill. Well not exactly quick since gear oil is quite thick, Though I would use Amsoil instead of Motorcraft. I have found it to be superior. It is all I use in transmission, differentials, and transfer cases anymore. Motor oil I have not noticed a difference but I also refuse to go past 5k for any oil change so good old Motorcraft is all I really need.
I do differentials and transfer cases at 50k because gear oil is cheap.
Transmissions at 75k.

Are you running auto 4x4????
My old Explorer would do this when tread depths were substantially different for the front and rear. Even with fresh fluid. New tires solved the issue.
This stuff?
F6364153-76CC-4574-A4FE-4F84F5274DE0.png

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is the stuff though I have not bought into the squeeze pouch idea.
I have the pump you screw on the bottles. No mess and I reuse the bottle for the old fluid. Putting the old fluid into the pouch seems like a pain.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
That is the stuff though I have not bought into the squeeze pouch idea.
I have the pump you screw on the bottles. No mess and I reuse the bottle for the old fluid. Putting the old fluid into the pouch seems like a pain.
I saw the pumps at local auto store. Where did you find the amsoil gear lube? Local place?

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup. Local NAPA and off-road shop stocks a decent amount.
Pretty sure Amsoil has a stocking dealer locator on the site.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yup. Local NAPA and off-road shop stocks a decent amount.
Pretty sure Amsoil has a stocking dealer locator on the site.
Now I see we use 4.25 pints which equates to 2.12 quarts. I’m assuming I’ll need that 3rd bottle to top it off? I’ll also be adding 4-8oz of friction modifier as well