Rear Diff fluid change questions

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hit the fill plug with just under 2 quarts and the friction modifier.
A quart is a touch over 33 oz. so the friction modifier which is actually a 4oz. bottle is about .12 of a quart.
So 2 quarts of oil plus 4oz of friction modifier is give or take 2.12 quarts. Plus you are never going to get all the old fluid out so buying 3 quarts is a waste.

Put one quart of gear oil in, then the friction, modifier, then top off with the second quart.
That way you get all the friction modifier in there.
The gears mix up the fluid so well you could put it in first if you want.
But I would not put it in last.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I hit the fill plug with just under 2 quarts and the friction modifier.
A quart is a touch over 33 oz. so the friction modifier which is actually a 4oz. bottle is about .12 of a quart.
So 2 quarts of oil plus 4oz of friction modifier is give or take 2.12 quarts. Plus you are never going to get all the old fluid out so buying 3 quarts is a waste.

Put one quart of gear oil in, then the friction, modifier, then top off with the second quart.
That way you get all the friction modifier in there.
The gears mix up the fluid so well you could put it in first if you want.
But I would not put it in last.
You just do one 4oz bottle? I’ve seen some ppl saying do 8oz on other forums. Just curious

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did only use one bottle I had not read other wise for these rigs and the capacities chart in the manual calls for 4oz of XL-3 Friction Modifier fluid.
I also only used one bottle in my Mustangs. I have heard of folks using 2 bottle with the Ford Racing models that have the carbon fiber clutches and the Super Duties.
But I have neither of those.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I did only use one bottle I had not read other wise for these rigs and the capacities chart in the manual calls for 4oz of XL-3 Friction Modifier fluid.
I also only used one bottle in my Mustangs. I have heard of folks using 2 bottle with the Ford Racing models that have the carbon fiber clutches and the Super Duties.
Awesome, just picked up 3 quarts of amsoil 75w90 and a fluid pump for $20! Guy behind the counter rang me up for only one quart apparently. Didn’t even realize until I got home to look at the receipt. Now for the friction modifier and some clear weather

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This same stuff you used or do I need the “severe gear”?
D210BE2C-C821-44F9-8988-F2093525C95A.jpeg

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If that is what you bought I am sure it will be fine. Amsoil is a solid product all around. I use the Severe Gear in the black bottle with red cap.
It is formulated for towing, heavy trucks, high performance, and cold temperatures.
I used it many moons ago in my Explorer and it was noticeably smoother and quieter. I have used it in all my differentials ever since.

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
The bags are the way to go.

The little bottle pumps that screw into standard quart oil bottles will not fit the Ansoil bottles as I found out last month when doing a service on the the Torsen differential in my little Honda S2000 roadster which needs a differential oil change every 15K miles ("severe service") which is every second oil change. This little differential takes less than a quart and the wobbly pump worked albeit needing two hands. My first time using Amsoil 75W-110 which matches the old SAE 90 hypoid gear oil requirement of this car.

This grade of hypoid gear oil certainly ain't grease as it's about the same viscosity as a 10W-50 engine oil.

-- Chuck

Black

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The bags are the way to go.

The little bottle pumps that screw into standard quart oil bottles will not fit the Ansoil bottles as I found out last month when doing a service on the the Torsen differential in my little Honda S2000 roadster which needs a differential oil change every 15K miles ("severe service") which is every second oil change. This little differential takes less than a quart and the wobbly pump worked albeit needing two hands. My first time using Amsoil 75W-110 which matches the old SAE 90 hypoid gear oil requirement of this car.

This grade of hypoid gear oil certainly ain't grease as it's about the same viscosity as a 10W-50 engine oil.

-- Chuck

Do you fill the bags with the old oil??
I have a pump for both small mouth and amsoil larger mouth bottles.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Here’s the noise I’m getting. Definitely sounds like rear end. StRts around 4 secs in. Sound up

chuck s

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Chesterfield, VA (that's south of Richmond, y'all)
Do you fill the bags with the old oil?? ?? Only bagged oil I've used came with my new lawn mower.

I have a pump for both small mouth and amsoil larger mouth bottles. Only used Amsoil for this one (1) differential fill and the small pump worked OK but a little clumsy.

-- Chuck