Rear end harmonic noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They wouldn’t be making noise in the rear end
My ecoboost whistle sounds like it’s coming from the rear...no question. At least while driving. And the rear passenger side, so just about right where the exhaust pipe is.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
They must’ve moved the turbos back about 8’ on the newer models

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
They must’ve moved the turbos back about 8’ on the newer models
Haha! I know the turbos aren’t back there, I’m just saying when the boost kicks in, at least while driving, the whistle definitely sounds like it’s coming from the back. I’m guessing it’s because of the added sound insulation (maybe only on the plati?) or has something to do with the fake engine noise they pipe in. Honestly I can hear VERY little engine noise at all, even when I get angry with the go-fast pedal.

Artie

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Haha! I know the turbos aren’t back there, I’m just saying when the boost kicks in, at least while driving, the whistle definitely sounds like it’s coming from the back. I’m guessing it’s because of the added sound insulation (maybe only on the plati?) or has something to do with the fake engine noise they pipe in. Honestly I can hear VERY little engine noise at all, even when I get angry with the go-fast pedal.
Same here, I don’t hear much at all after start up. I’ve yet to hear the turbos as well and I’ve gotten in the throttle several times.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
Same here, I don’t hear much at all after start up. I’ve yet to hear the turbos as well and I’ve gotten in the throttle several times.
Upgrade that intake system and you’ll hear them

Bones

Reaction score
I purchased my 2018 Expy Platinum Max new and started hearing the humming noise right away while driving. It doesn't do it all of the time and the volume fluctuates in intensity and not reproducible. I tried driving with the sound system off and it didn't make any difference. Then the Expy threw a curve at me; I started it after being off for the night and was in park idling and the humming started and got very loud. It caught me off guard and I didn't think to turn off the engine. After about 10 seconds it stopped. I should also clarify that the humming is coming from the rear and I don't have the tow package.

Last edited:
OP
OP
D

drjeff

Reaction score
I have have not had turbos before and are they operating at slow startup speeds? The fuel pump would not make noise only when the wheels are turning I would think.

J Ski

3.5plati
Reaction score
I have have not had turbos before and are they operating at slow startup speeds? The fuel pump would not make noise only when the wheels are turning I would think.
They don’t kick in until enough pressure is built up