Rear Hatch Delay?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Garrett

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way to set the rear hatch to delay before closing, or do you just have to always be swift like a ninja?

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Is there a way to set the rear hatch to delay before closing, or do you just have to always be swift like a ninja?
Stand to the side of the hatch and stick your arm in the trunk then press the button. It’s inky like 1’ into the trunk, should be able to do that and not have to worry about being hit. Unless you’re a midget

Bonji

Reaction score
Stand to the side of the hatch and stick your arm in the trunk then press the button. It’s inky like 1’ into the trunk, should be able to do that and not have to worry about being hit. Unless you’re a midget

Gen 4 has the hatch button on the bottom lip of the hatch itself, not inside the rear like earlier Gens. And...Gen 4 doesn't have the same delay as Gen 3.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hate the electric hatch on mine. The manual one on my XLT was so much easier/better.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Does a gentle manual tug on the hatch engage the electric close as well, or is using the switch the only option?

I use the remote myself. Can be upto 2 miles away and it works.

16plati

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Gen 4 has the hatch button on the bottom lip of the hatch itself, not inside the rear like earlier Gens. And...Gen 4 doesn't have the same delay as Gen 3.
Oh, well if it’s on the bottom lip than there should be zero issue closing it. #4thgenexpedtionownerproblems

Deadman

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I love the hatch mounted button over the stupid interior mounted button that you need to take cover from.
I'm still trying to learn the foot trick that opens and closes the hatch. So far I'e learned that hooking up a trailer the foot thing is great at opening the hatch and slamming it right into your face.

Bonji

Reaction score
I love the hatch mounted button over the stupid interior mounted button that you need to take cover from.
I'm still trying to learn the foot trick that opens and closes the hatch. So far I'e learned that hooking up a trailer the foot thing is great at opening the hatch and slamming it right into your face.

I prefer the interior mounted one with its delay. I can leave the last six pack in there...reach in, hit the button, remove six pack, and be clear before she starts closing. Now I have to have everything in order/in arms before reaching up for the button...not the easiest thing with two arm-loads of brewskis.

aggiegrad05

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I prefer the interior mounted one with its delay. I can leave the last six pack in there...reach in, hit the button, remove six pack, and be clear before she starts closing. Now I have to have everything in order/in arms before reaching up for the button...not the easiest thing with two arm-loads of brewskis.
You just described the purpose of the kick-to-close feature.