Rear Wiper Not Working

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

swagfu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I actually changed the wiper motor and everything was great for about a week. Lots of rain tonight when I went out to the expy to drive home, the rear wiper wouldn't work. I am just curious, could it be the inside of the wiper arm wearing out? Thats about all I have left to change. I also thought it may be something in the stalk selector switch. But i don't know how to test it.

ExplorerTom

Full Access Members
Reaction score
It seems like shaft that comes out of the motor gets bound up as it passes through the tailgate. It's like it galls.

When I dork around with it, I think that frees up the galling and it works for a day or so then gets galled up again.

swagfu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I saw the spring adjustment post somewhere. I will try that before replacing the arm. I know the motor isn't bad....actually don't think the old one was either. If I lift the arm a little, it works like it should. It just doesn't seem to want to lift from the resting position.

swagfu

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Did the spring thing today and no luck. I don't even here the motor trying to move now. Is there a way to "reset" the system?

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
The shaft, the wiper arm bolts to, is made of steel. The motor housing is Aluminum. It is a bad design, prone to fail. These two metals, react badly, in wet environments. The shaft fits snug in the housing. When it starts to corrode, it welds itself and stops working. I took mine apart and honed out the housing, to give it a little slop. The bigger hole, allowed for some anti-sieze or grease. It has been working again now, for over a year.