Remote Starter Wanted

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Can you recommend a quality installer company? Does Ford make an add on for this? Would like to get one installed but I do not want to worry about the quality of the job.

Any and all opinions will be appreciated.

nvycrmn

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if its the install you are worried about, i wouldnt worry about the quality. pretty much any reputable shop will do a good job. i think best buy does them as well. if you are looking for quality of the product, i would try and go with something that does remote start as well as alarm.

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Call your local dealers parts department with your VIN # they can pull up the build sheet on your vehicle and tell you which of the factory ford units will work ( factory ford remote for the keyless entry and remote start ). I can get the top of the line Ford alarm/remote start for mine for about $300 then you can either have ford install ( = pricey ) or take it to a reputable shop for the install, you could even do it your self but there is a lot of splicing that you have to do so I would leave it to a shop unless you are really good at tracing wires and making splices.

walnuts4x4

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
best bet would be call/ask around... local shops will usually beat stealership prices and as long as it's a good shop you should be good to go.... up here we got 3-4 good private shops as well as best buy... and I'm in northern new york... 30min from the border

OP
OP
u.p.expy

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
if its the install you are worried about, i wouldnt worry about the quality. pretty much any reputable shop will do a good job. i think best buy does them as well. if you are looking for quality of the product, i would try and go with something that does remote start as well as alarm.

I hadn't thought about the combo starter/alarm-good point. I have seen too many people get hack jobs from "reputable" shops installing aftermarket products-definitely not the road I want to go down on, I'm envisioning wiring gremlins.

Call your local dealers parts department with your VIN # they can pull up the build sheet on your vehicle and tell you which of the factory ford units will work ( factory ford remote for the keyless entry and remote start ). I can get the top of the line Ford alarm/remote start for mine for about $300 then you can either have ford install ( = pricey ) or take it to a reputable shop for the install, you could even do it your self but there is a lot of splicing that you have to do so I would leave it to a shop unless you are really good at tracing wires and making splices.

After I posted this I checked out what Ford had to offer, guess I kinda put the cart ahead of the horse. I would rather go with a Ford unit and have my Ford dealership install it-I have all the faith in my dealership, even if the cost is a little higher than that of a company like best buy or equivalent. I do a fair bit of electronic installation in my line of work, but this isn't exactly a boat, even though it is 12 vdc, I would rather have someone who has done this many times on a Ford Expedition do it.

best bet would be call/ask around... local shops will usually beat stealership prices and as long as it's a good shop you should be good to go.... up here we got 3-4 good private shops as well as best buy... and I'm in northern new york... 30min from the border

My closest best buy is about 200 miles away, dealership is 30 miles, so for me this is a no brainer. If I were in a real pinch I would consider a shop besides my dealership, but that isn't the case here.

I appreciate all of your responses, thanks.

kickapebble

Reaction score
Not nessasarily the same question, but since you are on the topic, I was curious, is it possible to get a remote start installed and have a "all in one" remote which will continue to operate the door locks, panic, and remote start? I have been considering this option as when its cold outside, It would be nice to just start it from the kitchen. Thanks all

Racenut

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Not nessasarily the same question, but since you are on the topic, I was curious, is it possible to get a remote start installed and have a "all in one" remote which will continue to operate the door locks, panic, and remote start? I have been considering this option as when its cold outside, It would be nice to just start it from the kitchen. Thanks all

This pic is of a factory Ford remote start/alarm system ( this system does both ). The remotes are a all in one with the factory lock / unlock, panic, and remote start. These systems work really well as long as whoever installs it knows what they are doing and hooks up everthing. Also this system WILL NOT VOID factory warranty like aftermarket systems will, since this is a Genuine OEM Ford product.

Attachments

• ford oem remote start.jpg
    ford oem remote start.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 1,751

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My Remote Start

My remote start was on the vehicle when i bought it used. Remote Start uses the Ford Key fob. Three pushes on the lock button and 15 seconds later
the vehicle starts. Every 30 seconds after that, the park and brake lights blink, untill key is put in the ignition switch and moved to start position. If the remote has been activated and the brakes are applied before key is used then then truck shuts off. Wish i could tell you who made it and if it is factory or not.

TIKT B8

Reaction score
Yes, I just got one installed about town months ago. The Ford alarm with the keyless entry/Remote start/alarm is the "Gold" alarm from ford. I was able to get it from my local dealer for about $275 with the PATS controller. I then went to the shop that my dealer contracts out to for the install. They charged me $150 for the install. It works out great. My wife loves it. I even got the shop to install a glass breakage sensor into the kit for added protection. The Gold key fob has 6 buttons (lock/unlock/panic/start/aux1/aux2). I used the aux buttons to turn on my lights and to open my power hatch.

Here is the info I got from another board. I am just reposting as I do not want to link to another board because I am not sure if it is frowned upon.

===============================================
Here are the 3 different Ford systems offered with the part numbers and a picture of the remote fob that comes with it (NOTE: These are 2009 part numbers only, the part numbers changed for the 2010 systems because of the new My-Key feature).

Remote Start only (basic system) Part Number: 7W3Z-19G364-AA
https://assets.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/assets/GFA/GFAMEDIMG/8801EF28-D99F-2297-24AD-66DA24AD66DA.jpg

Remote Start only, Bi-Directional (2-way) Part Number: 9C3Z-19G364-A
https://assets.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/assets/GFA/GFAMEDIMG/8801EF28-655F-F8C0-19F1-A05C19F1A05C.jpg

Remote Start, With Keyless Entry & Alarm Part Number (gold system): 7L3Z-19G364-AA
https://assets.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/assets/GFA/GFAMEDIMG/8801EF28-2937-FAF5-19F2-850019F28500.jpg

For the first two remote start systems, you would have to carry your factory keyless entry fob with you too. I think the first one is the one you get as the factory invoiced accessory remote start system if you order your truck with it. The second one is actually a 2-way type system, the button flashes green and the keyfob beeps to confirm that the truck started. The third system includes the alarm, and it replaces your factory keyless fob since the new fob does control keyless entry and remote start all in one fob. The extra 1 and 2 buttons on the fob are pretty much useless for our trucks. You could turn the alarm feature off if you want (if you don't like alarms), but at least then you would still have everything all in one key fob rather than having to carry 2 fobs around.

The 3 systems cost between $200 and $230 plus shipping through an online discount Ford parts dealer. Sometimes you can find them slightly cheaper on Ebay. I lucked out and I think I bought my 6-button system for around $150 or so on Ebay.

For either system, you also need the Ford PATS Interface/bypass kit, the part number is 8L3Z-19G365-BA. It costs around $25 plus shipping. You just need your 2 master keys to program this kit. You don't have to take your truck to the dealer to program the PATS kit or the remote start/alarm system.

The first two remote start only systems above actually install pretty easy now, they come with a plug-in harness that plugs directly into our trucks. Then there’s only about 6 wires or so left that you have to splice-in yourself. The 6-button remote start with alarm system does not come with any type of plug-in harness, so you have to tap/splice all of the necessary wires (about 16 or so total). Most of the wires you tap into are along the steering column and driver's side kick panel/door sill, but there's also 1 or 2 wires that you tap into at the passenger side kick panel at the smart junction box (SJB).

I hope this helps you.

OP
OP
u.p.expy

u.p.expy

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes, I just got one installed about town months ago. The Ford alarm with the keyless entry/Remote start/alarm is the "Gold" alarm from ford. I was able to get it from my local dealer for about $275 with the PATS controller. I then went to the shop that my dealer contracts out to for the install. They charged me $150 for the install. It works out great. My wife loves it. I even got the shop to install a glass breakage sensor into the kit for added protection. The Gold key fob has 6 buttons (lock/unlock/panic/start/aux1/aux2). I used the aux buttons to turn on my lights and to open my power hatch.

Here is the info I got from another board. I am just reposting as I do not want to link to another board because I am not sure if it is frowned upon.

===============================================
Here are the 3 different Ford systems offered with the part numbers and a picture of the remote fob that comes with it (NOTE: These are 2009 part numbers only, the part numbers changed for the 2010 systems because of the new My-Key feature).

Remote Start only (basic system) Part Number: 7W3Z-19G364-AA
https://assets.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/assets/GFA/GFAMEDIMG/8801EF28-D99F-2297-24AD-66DA24AD66DA.jpg

Remote Start only, Bi-Directional (2-way) Part Number: 9C3Z-19G364-A
https://assets.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/assets/GFA/GFAMEDIMG/8801EF28-655F-F8C0-19F1-A05C19F1A05C.jpg

Remote Start, With Keyless Entry & Alarm Part Number (gold system): 7L3Z-19G364-AA
https://assets.forddirect.fordvehicles.com/assets/GFA/GFAMEDIMG/8801EF28-2937-FAF5-19F2-850019F28500.jpg

For the first two remote start systems, you would have to carry your factory keyless entry fob with you too. I think the first one is the one you get as the factory invoiced accessory remote start system if you order your truck with it. The second one is actually a 2-way type system, the button flashes green and the keyfob beeps to confirm that the truck started. The third system includes the alarm, and it replaces your factory keyless fob since the new fob does control keyless entry and remote start all in one fob. The extra 1 and 2 buttons on the fob are pretty much useless for our trucks. You could turn the alarm feature off if you want (if you don't like alarms), but at least then you would still have everything all in one key fob rather than having to carry 2 fobs around.

The 3 systems cost between $200 and $230 plus shipping through an online discount Ford parts dealer. Sometimes you can find them slightly cheaper on Ebay. I lucked out and I think I bought my 6-button system for around $150 or so on Ebay.

For either system, you also need the Ford PATS Interface/bypass kit, the part number is 8L3Z-19G365-BA. It costs around $25 plus shipping. You just need your 2 master keys to program this kit. You don't have to take your truck to the dealer to program the PATS kit or the remote start/alarm system.

The first two remote start only systems above actually install pretty easy now, they come with a plug-in harness that plugs directly into our trucks. Then there’s only about 6 wires or so left that you have to splice-in yourself. The 6-button remote start with alarm system does not come with any type of plug-in harness, so you have to tap/splice all of the necessary wires (about 16 or so total). Most of the wires you tap into are along the steering column and driver's side kick panel/door sill, but there's also 1 or 2 wires that you tap into at the passenger side kick panel at the smart junction box (SJB).

I hope this helps you.

Thank you for the very detailed post. I have been researching this subject quite a bit now and I definitely think that the last system is the one I would want to get. I will most definitely have my dealer do the install.