Removing front air dam?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wakeboarder

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Apparently, it’s a 5.5mm according to some instructions I had. I used a 7/32” (which is most likely the size). That size is also used for the fender liner on the inside of the wheel arch - same screws used on the fender liner.

My vote is for the 5.5mm. I have seen them used in other applications. I thought all of the major automotive manufacturers hadn’t used SAE fasteners since the 80’s.

Edistobob

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Definitely is 5.5 mm. When I removed the air dam, I bought one either from an auto parts store or the local hardware. None of the sockets I already had fit well enough.

sjwhiteley

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My vote is for the 5.5mm. I have seen them used in other applications. I thought all of the major automotive manufacturers hadn’t used SAE fasteners since the 80’s.
That is true, this is the first time i've seen a 5.5mm head. 7/32 is 5.55mm. There must be a secret supplier of screws with this size head...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I must be an idiot because I can’t figure out what size bolt head the small ones are. 5mm is too small 6mm is too big. Same with 1/4” and 3/16”. Also do the white clips need to be removed?
View attachment 35039
Not sure. But I had no issues with my 6mm, my guess is tolerances in tools are enough to make it fit or a little loose. I threw a 6mm on a handheld electric screwdriver and it worked great.

I did remove any of the clips that weren't needed, but j saved them for later if needed.

So far I have had no issues with noise or movement and unfortunately I've only driven city streets so I can't really say of there is a noticeable effect on mileage.

My biggest concern are the stupid huge open pockets that fill up with snow and slush, I really wish these were more closed off.

Peter L

Reaction score
Just finished having skid plates installed on my 2019 Limited; took the front dam off as well. Ordered a full set: front, transmission and differential from RCI Offroad in Loveland, CO (www.rcimetalworks.com). The whole package was $695 and I ordered the set for the 2015-2022 F150. FYI, they offer military discount as well. Installation by RSG Offroad in Lakewood, CO was about $400 and took about 2-1/2 hours. The plates went on with only minor changes and I think looks pretty good. Covers everything back to the gas tank. Everything else is pretty stock except for using Falken Wildpeak AT3. Great tires but dropped my mileage about 3 mpg.20211202_123129.jpg

sandyride

Reaction score
Not sure. But I had no issues with my 6mm, my guess is tolerances in tools are enough to make it fit or a little loose. I threw a 6mm on a handheld electric screwdriver and it worked great.

I did remove any of the clips that weren't needed, but j saved them for later if needed.

So far I have had no issues with noise or movement and unfortunately I've only driven city streets so I can't really say of there is a noticeable effect on mileage.

My biggest concern are the stupid huge open pockets that fill up with snow and slush, I really wish these were more closed off.

I tried to remove mine over the weekend, got the 4 bolts out but couldnt figure out for the life of me how to remove the darn thing the clips wont budge, is there a technique to removing them (i dont have a jack or lift so lying down and reaching under lol)....went into the dunes without the 4 bolts and drove on the streets luckily attached solid as a rock...

5280tunage

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A good metal forked panel popper is what did the trick for me. I have an old snap on that works great.