Replace Intake Manifold - 2003 Ford Expedition EB 5.4L?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tdfuller

Reaction score
Thanks for any tips. Sole owner since vehicle came off assembly line of 03 EB 5.4L V8, with 196,535 miles. When it does it become definitive that I need to get the intake manifold replaced?

The backstory.

SES light came on and as always ran to O'Reilly to get a quick code whenever the SES light illuminates. Gave code P0171 - bank 1 too lean code. Then took to my ONLY mechanic at my local Firestone I trust. Paid him for a diagnostic fee and smoke test. He diagnosed as one leaky vac hose on the passenger side and leaky EGR valve a few hours after he had the vehicle. However, when he got those new parts installed a few hours after that, he called to suggest that the intake manifold get replaced. That with the new EGR valve and new EGR valve the intake manifold was leaking a bit on a subsequent diagnostic and smoke test.

The intake manifold P/N 615-188 will have to be ordered and he has gone on vacation for about 10 days. He said the vehicle is completely safe to drive. I believe he commented that this particular year/make/model has a plastic manifold and after age/years and heating/cooling not uncommon for the intake to leak.

The SES light is off and remains off for now.

Go back two months ago.... the SES light came on with O'Reilly code P1404 which indicates stuck EGR valve closed. When I took to him then his diagnostics and tests shows P1405 - DPFE sensor. At that time, two months ago, he replaced the DPFE sensor and another vacuum hose, and from then, until yesterday - two months - the vehicle ran for those two months with the SES light off.

I get it that with aging vehicles sensors and components will fail, but the intake manifold and labor to replace are quite a bit more. I am not afraid to spend money to keep my vehicles in great shape; put in new upper and lower control arm/ball joints several months ago, and a new flywheel a few years ago. Those aren't cheap.

But I've saved many, many months of car payments on another car by maintaining this one. I guess I will alway remain inquistiive. Thanks for any tips!

Todd

Hamfisted

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If anything it's usually just the intake gasket that develops a leak. Pretty rare for the intake itself to require replacement unless it's for the delamination of the crossover port edges, where you'll see a coolant leak. The DPFE sensor is a common culprit for EGR error codes, no surprise there. If it's not enough to give you a SES light and error code I wouldn't replace the intake manifold. But if you do get another vacuum leak code look at the intake manifold gasket. Unless he can show you a crack in the manifold it's most likely still fine.

OP
OP
T

tdfuller

Reaction score
Ok great Hamfisted. Thank you. I am going to keep monitoring to see if the SES light comes on again.