Replaced brake pads, some heat and smoking

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Pedition2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Yes I did a search on the forum first and couldn't find an answer.

Replaced front and rear brake pads. Took a drive and the front right smoked and smelled. Took front tires off and left spun fine, right was very difficult. I'm getting brake lubrication today, and new caliber sliding pins with some grease. If that doesn't work what is the next cheap step? Anybody else dealt with this issue? I did try to open the bleeding valve, but it's rusted on so I'm going to try soaking it with some anti seize. Thanks.

DetroitDarin

Full Access Members
Reaction score
sounds common - depending on the amount, I've had smoke and stink with new brake parts

Copper93

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If the sliding pins don't work, check the pistol to make sure it isn't cockeyed and stuck. Also, brake lines corrode from the inside out. I had one that had a blockage in it and would not let the pressure release. I changed out the line and all was good. The lines round $20 or so.

stamp11127

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Also bleed the brake system so that new fluid is in all of the lines. The current brake fluid should be a light veggie oil yellow color. If it isn't then there is contamination in the fluid which can cause the same problem in any of the calipers..

In the future use your old pad and a decent sized C clamp to depress the pistons into the bore.

OP
OP
Pedition2000

Pedition2000

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Great advice and information from all of you. I never thought of using the old pad to decompress the pistons.