Replaced plug in cyl 5 but now thinking a cat is clogged

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
so I posted a thread a few days ago stating I had a cylinder 5 misfire. I ruled out the coil after swapping with cylinder 1 and the misfire remained on 5. So I replaced the plug (will replace the reat as time allows), and it feels stronger. The gas mileage seems to have improved. I saw 17 mpg for first time ever since I bought it. Usually o don't see over 13. And when I floor it it seems a little smoother but still feels like it's struggling between 3k and 4200 rpm. It feels and sounds like it's struggling to breath. Almost asthmatic. I can hear a hissing when I floor it in that rpm range which sounds to be coming from the exhaust which brings me to my next question. Could a clogged cat cause that hesitation at wide open throttle and cause an almost asthmatic hiss?

Being that I just got this truck the former owners could have driven it with the cylinder 5 mis for god knows how long, so I wouldn't think a bad cat is out of the realm of possibility.

Eve after pushing it hard after the plug change, it's no longer throwing the cyl 5 misfire code. Yet it's still bucking a little around 40 mph when slightly accelerating in over drive. So I might replace the injector in cylinder 5 yet just to cover all my bases.

So with the symptoms described, do y'all think my cat could be clogged? I'm not too worried about the cost. I just want to get my new truck running 100 % lol

OP
OP
Trucker14

Trucker14

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Btw I had a cat in my 21 year old jeep recently collapse internally and cause nearly the same symptoms. Hard to accelerate over 40 mph. Hissing asthmatic sound from exhaust. But all I did for that was cut the cat out and basically straight pipe it. But it ran like New after lol

1955moose

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If you suspect a clogged converter. We have posted many troubleshooting techniques on this forum. They were posted on first edition expys, but it's all the same. Did you get any codes relating to Exaust, or just the #5 cylinder. Your miss at 40 mph could be the boot from the coil to plug. Also do a fuel pressure test, just to be sure your not starving for fuel. Keep in touch.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk