Replacing Catalytic Converter

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

lee9144

Reaction score
I have a 1997 Expedition XLT 4x4 and Catalytic Converter on the drivers side is bad. What I need help with is if I cut it out can I use exhaust clamps and pipe adapters when I put the new one in. Thanks for the help and advice

jbanks

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I suppose you could cut it out and use adapters and clamps. You might rent the 'pipe expander' from the auto parts store so you expand the pipes but I think it might not work well. I used one when I did mine to re-expand the pipe where the clamp had squashed the pipe. It did take forever with the air chisel to get all the old pipe out from under the clamp.

I ended up doing the Walker direct fit replacement.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/wlk-53273/overview/

I was also able to sell my old cats for scrap and got $70 - SellYourCatsDirect.com - We buy scrap catalytic converters nationwide!

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lee9144

Reaction score
Thanks for the info...Does anyone know the outside diameter of the pipe on the front Catalytic Converter

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
2.25" IIRC.

If it were me I'd cut the two cats out and weld pipes in, it's what I did and love it!

Mediamonkey11

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Only on the rear (large) cats, yes. Won't set off a CEL. Only issue would be if your state has emissions testing where they actually put a sniffer in the tailpipe, here they just plug into the OBD2 Port to checks to see if the computer is happy.