Roof rails

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ELVATO

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As has been mentioned before, it seems the 03-04 Expys had the flush ones in your first pic, where as the 05-06 Expys had the stick up ones.

Me, I had the flush ones on my 03. They are in my garage, since I have no need for them. They're just held on by 6-8 T-20 bolts. Doesn't take more than 10 minutes to take off.

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
The roof rails on 03-04 2nd gen are the same as all first gen. 05-06 are the raised "van" type as explained. I have these on my 05 but saved the channel rails that came on my '97 when I sold it. I'm glad I did because I also had the Thule adapters with their rubber covered square tube cross rails. These, so I could carry a large ski box that I can load with stuff. FYI, the holes in the roof on both gen Expy's are the same spacing regardless of rack, so they both interchange.
I prefer the older rails of the first gen and early second not only because I already have the Thule system for them, but I noticed that my later '05 rack is completely made from plastic, except for aluminum inlays that lock the optional crossbars.
Those plastic racks are not that confidence inspiring when you want to carry 150lbs. of ski box on your roof at 80MPH. I do that all the time with the original rails, but never go over that. I think the limit is 165 lbs.

Ford Frank

Reaction score
One has a nearly flush slotted track running fore and aft on each side with two quick adjust cross bars.

My '03 EB has the slotted track type, which I'm not crazy about. It makes it tough to use the roof rack for anything besides something that attaches to the cross bar. For example, you only have the crossbars to tie an xmas tree onto. It would be nice to have anchor points the length of the roof.

Has anyone find a solution to this, besides replacing the side rails? Maybe some kind of anchor loop that fits in the slotted track?

darmahsd

Full Access Members
Reaction score
My track rack has four of these anchor loops, which can be
described as plastic eyehook tiedowns that are adjustable
to slide in the tracks. This is from a 1997, which is the same as
2003/4 second generation. If you don't have these,
they're probably cheap enough from the dealer or junkyard.
I also use the 6MM threaded inserts that lock the stock front crossbar in place because I have the Thule crossbars instead.

AcesOverEights

Full Access Members
Reaction score
This thread made my just look out my office window to see which style I have. I never really looked at them before. I have the rail kind, and mine does have 2 bars across as well.
05 EB

They might just come off one of these days. I never liked that big hat look it gives it.

Ford Frank

Reaction score
My track rack has four of these anchor loops, which can be
described as plastic eyehook tiedowns that are adjustable
to slide in the tracks. This is from a 1997, which is the same as
2003/4 second generation. If you don't have these,
they're probably cheap enough from the dealer or junkyard.
I also use the 6MM threaded inserts that lock the stock front crossbar in place because I have the Thule crossbars instead.

I bought four of these anchor loops for my recessed track side rails. They are from a gen 1 expy and they do fit my gen 2 2003 EB. They fit right in the tracks no problem and twist to tighten. I was glad they fit.