rough idle and die 2005? Help!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sleezyteet

Reaction score
hi guys I need some help here recently my 2005 expedition will start up than a few seconds later it starts to sputter or lope and die or when im driving and come to a stop it just dies some times it dies as soon as I put it in gear but once I start driving it, it runs fine until I try to stop it has also recently started to leak some anti freeze on passenger side somewhere Its towards the front I thought maybe drain plug I tightened it but stil coming out some where but cant find the spot so far I have replaced the plugs replaced the air filter replaced the fuel filter put fuel system cleaner in it and none of it helped is this the TPS or something else please help any info is appreciated also its not throwing any check engine codes or trying to over heat

6klub

Reaction score
I had a similar issue this weekend it cut out on me Friday and Saturday..
After I changed the oil and fuel filter I've been running smooth (I did replace my starter too but clearly that was a different issue)

I did read somewhere that there was an issues with the fuel injectors and a warranty was extended to 120,000 miles. (I don't remember where I saw that info though)

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

sleezyteet

Reaction score
Well I ended up getting it figured out was actually an easy fix I had a chunk of leaf in my mass air flow sensor lol went to clean it out thinking just maybe it was dirty and there it was sitting on the wires runs like a top now

6klub

Reaction score
My "fix " was only temporary it started acting up again and actually cut off on me a few times....

I ended up placing my Fuel Pump Drive Module, so if your issue resurfaces ,this is another place to check.

Last edited:
B

bedrck46

Information about the Fuel Pump Drive Module can be very confusing to other expy owners There was a recent post from someone with a 99 asking where the FPDM was located, He was totally unaware that he his year didn't have one but he thought he did because of what he had read from different posts.

FYI The FPDM was only used in 05 and 06 model years on the Expys

To help avoid confusing about this, It would be nice when posting any information about the FPDM to include that it is only in the 05 and 06 years

whipper

Reaction score
Mine an 03 doing the exact same thing as you described? if mine doesnt have this module what could mine be? Im thinking coils and or plugs but not sure.

whipper

Reaction score
changed plugs and coils still rough idle. I also have a check gas cap warning every time i start the engine. Thats been there since a knuckle head dropped my tank when the computer fried thinking it was a fuel pump. Even though I told him it was the computer and to check that. after reinstalling tank and verifying it was the computer it has never been the same after plugging in the new computer. All my problems started then. He was such a crook and a hole I couldn't go back and get him to fix it because just a real bad mechanic.

Going to try another gas cap tomorrow and other than that I have no idea.:think: Its a stumble miss like I hear pretty much everyone has. Ford should really address this problem with a recall theres so many like this.!! Could the new computer be bad?

Last edited:

65comet

Reaction score
For the gas cap, outside underneath the drivers seat next to the frame are two connectors that like to collect dirt and corrosion, give them a cleaning and inspection. There are also three connectors for tubes to the fuel tank. One of them might not have been connected back fully. One is at the front and the other two are at the back.
Running badly could be as simple as a vacuum leak. Do you have a CEL (check engine light) illuminated? If so, get the codes read.