Sheared off transmission pan holt

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rwmorrisonjr

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, I sheared off one of the transmission pan bolts by over torquing it today. It’s the center bolt along the rear behind the magnet and above the exhaust pipe. No leaks so far, but should I be worried about it leaking in the future?

Just upset about it since I was so careful! All due to a POS torque wrench! Time for a new one!

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well if you sheared off the head there is not much you can do but drill it out and re tap and die - too much work forget about it. I’m very surprised the head of the bolt sheared off, the threads it goes into are soft and aluminum (easy to strip out). On my last Expedition one refused to loosen so I had to grind an X in it and use a Phillips after the head stripped. Stripped the new bolt going in (soft threads) and may have stripped another so 1 or 2 weren’t holding well. Never had any leaks because of it. As long as the rest are good I wouldn’t worry.

On this current truck I didn’t use the torque wrench. The aluminum threads are soft so I did it by hand with a small ratchet so I could feel when it was snug enough (just right!!) after I learned the limits on the last truck which isn’t much lol. Didn’t strip any this time with the small socket set.

Last edited:

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I rebuilt auto transmissions for 10 years and never torqued those bolts and nobody I knew did. Too many people are torque happy nowadays...…...

Yep not required to use a torque wrench on these....forum police will disagree but if you have “the feel” it goes better and faster. I don’t use my torque wrench unless it’s a critical moving part lately, sue me. I’ve never warped any rotors using my T-wrench on the lug nuts either...I just match the resistance against my applied force. Maybe lifting weights helps with me being able to tell my FT LBS better than others who knows :D

Last edited:

Plati

Reaction score
Many will disagree but here is a little secret; mechanics rarely torque anything but they won't share that with anyone.
I'm just trying to figure out what this means. I guess you're saying experienced mechanics know the proper torque by feel and don't actually use a torque wrench. Well that's fine but that's still torqing ... Just an alternate method? Not everyone has that feel so it's safer if you don't to use a torque wrench, isn't it?

Isn't your statement kind of like MrTobe saying "I don't know why anybody would hire someone to put in a new engine. Just buy a used one and throw it in yourself on a Saturday and save money"

07navi

Full Access Members
Reaction score
I'm just trying to figure out what this means. I guess you're saying experienced mechanics know the proper torque by feel and don't actually use a torque wrench. Well that's fine but that's still torqing ... Just an alternate method? Not everyone has that feel so it's safer if you don't to use a torque wrench, isn't it?

Isn't your statement kind of like MrTobe saying "I don't know why anybody would hire someone to put in a new engine. Just buy a used one and throw it in yourself on a Saturday and save money"
It's pretty self explanatory.