Shifting Into OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Okay, so I'm brand new to the Expedition world and basically the Ford world as well, this is my first of either. When the Expy sits overnight on cold nights, when we first startup and leave in the morning the truck doesn't go into overdrive for about 1.5 to 2 miles. Pretty much until the engine temperature is up about a quarter on the temp gauge. After that it shifts fine and smooth, and will for the rest of the day. Is this normal? Seems like the computer or maybe the tranny fluid is not letting it go into OD until the truck warms up. Thanks for the help!
2006 EB
41k miles.

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
These vehicles have what is called a cold shift schedule and that is what you are experiencing.

Darrin

seeker

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Same thing on my 2002 model. 100k and no tranny problems. I just let the vehicle do its thing and have not had any issues. I guess the guys up north are used to this happening as a standard operating procedure.

OP
OP

06EXP

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well it has been unusually cold down here so that is probably it. Come to think about it my truck does the same thing but only when it is 30 or below in the mornings. Thanks alot guys, I feel much better now.

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
0 degrees Fahrenheit here some nights in Michigan and I'm up and out the door at 6:15 am and my '03 goes into overdrive as soon as I finish accelerating to 25, the speed limit for the first 1.5 miles. When I'm being conservative that takes about 1/10th mile. so I don't see how an 02 has that but not an 03... I don't know if I should be worried or not now...