Shocks Question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MAC1

Reaction score
I have a 2016 XLT, AWD, HD Tow Package, about 88K miles. I have been getting a shudder upon braking, not the rotors, already replaced with brakes, not the tires they were replaced in 2021. Could it be the shocks? I have been towing a 24' enclosed ATC trailer, 7200#'s loaded and I have E rated tires on the Expedition. I am thinking useful shock service life would be 100K under normal service. I am open to comments, ideas, thanks.

OP
OP
MAC1

MAC1

Reaction score
Well, over a hundred views and no comments(?). As a follow up, it may be the rear rotors; all the research I have done points to them. I have an appointment with the installing dealer (4mos ago) this afternoon to see what the issue is and to rule out the rear rotors. If anyone has any additional input, it would be appreciated.

mjp2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well, over a hundred views and no comments(?). As a follow up, it may be the rear rotors; all the research I have done points to them. I have an appointment with the installing dealer (4mos ago) this afternoon to see what the issue is and to rule out the rear rotors. If anyone has any additional input, it would be appreciated.
First thought is going to be brakes but you said you did them, which when addressing a shudder means you also replaced the rotors. It's a good forum in that people usually only chime in when they have something to contribute. Usually ;)

Did you have the shudder before or immediately after doing the brakes? Any chance you went with cheaper parts or possibly cooked the brakes at some point since installation? Depending on quality of the pads it might not take much to overheat them and have some material stick to the rotors.

The Swagonmaster

Reaction score
Iif the front rotors are at fault you will likely feel the vibration in the steering wheel but sometimes a vibration/shudder can be hard to trace without pulling the wheels and checking the rotor runout. Also, look for areas on the rotor that look different in color, something could have gotten splashed on it. I remember reading about a tech at a dealership that had all kinds of comebacks on his brake work because the carwash crew would spray tire shine on the wheels after the job was finished and weren't careful where it went and it would get on the rotors

The Swagonmaster

Reaction score
As to your original question, no shocks/struts aren't going to cause a shudder. They can cause tire cupping which might be more noticeable during brakeing though.

OP
OP
MAC1

MAC1

Reaction score
First thought is going to be brakes but you said you did them, which when addressing a shudder means you also replaced the rotors. It's a good forum in that people usually only chime in when they have something to contribute. Usually ;)

Did you have the shudder before or immediately after doing the brakes? Any chance you went with cheaper parts or possibly cooked the brakes at some point since installation? Depending on quality of the pads it might not take much to overheat them and have some material stick to the rotors.
The Ford dealer did the rear brakes with supposedly new Ford parts. At first I thought I was imaging the shudder, or perhaps it was the road, but it is definately being felt in my seat, I will see what happens today and follow up, thanks for your perspactive.

OP
OP
MAC1

MAC1

Reaction score
Iif the front rotors are at fault you will likely feel the vibration in the steering wheel but sometimes a vibration/shudder can be hard to trace without pulling the wheels and checking the rotor runout. Also, look for areas on the rotor that look different in color, something could have gotten splashed on it. I remember reading about a tech at a dealership that had all kinds of comebacks on his brake work because the carwash crew would spray tire shine on the wheels after the job was finished and weren't careful where it went and it would get on the rotors
Thank you, it is not the fronts, for sure, I think it is the backs, hopefully it will get resolved this afternoon. The dealer brake work is supposed to be warranted for 2 years regardless of milage, but there is only 4,000 miles on them anyway.

OP
OP
MAC1

MAC1

Reaction score
OK, so dealer tech says that the rear rotors definitely need to be turned and they will also do the fronts as there is some warpage in them also, but not as bad as the rears. The rears will be covered under warranty, not the fronts though, but they cannot get to it until next Thursday. I will post results next week.

twodollars

Full Access Members
Reaction score
If it were me, and I just paid for new oem rotors, I would ask that they replace not turn the ones you just paid for. That's taking material off, and shortening the life of a part that is pretty much new.

OP
OP
MAC1

MAC1

Reaction score
Follow up on this thread, truck went to the dealer last Thursday and had the rear rotors resurfaced along with the fronts; also had to replace the front pads, they were heat cracked and not looking very good (had about 20k miles on them). Truck is now fine, no more shudder!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
the_plugger