So what is the difference between ...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
... "cooled seats" on the 2017MY Expedition and "ventilated seats" on the 2018MY Expedition ?

I am not happy that the 40/20/40 bench seat is ONLY available of the XL model and I not happy with the fact that leather seating surfaces are required just to get adjustable pedals. (XLT 201A) Grrrr !!

ExpeditionAndy

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As far as I understand they are the same thing, just a different terminology.

I have the captain's chairs in my 17, I'm kind of ambivalent about them. I would have been happy with the bench seat, but I'm not upset about the captain's chairs. We rarely have more than 5 in my truck, but it would have been nice to have the option of 8 total.

Flexpedition

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe I am reading the ordering guide incorrectly, but I don't think I am.

I interpret that power adjustable pedals are included on all XLT models.

The guide says you get "ALL XL EQUIPMENT PLUS"... interior/comfort bullet #1 is power pedals.

On an XLT with 200A, all 3 rows are cloth. 8 passenger.
On an XLT with 201A or 202A, 1st and 2nd rows are leather, 3rd vinyl.
I think where I am confused is the guide doesn't specifically call out that leather seating changes front seat from 40/20/40 to captains, although that would be the assumption.
On an XL, you can order the 101A (cloth interior) and the optional 50C fleet convenience package to get power pedals. The 87P power 3rd row, doesn't specify material but nearly certain it'd be matching cloth.

Just to clarify, XL and XLT and trim levels, like Limited, Platinum. MAX is the longer version, formerly known as EL. Your first post mentioned XL, but also XLT.

We briefly considered a 2018 regular length XL model (sounds redundant, eh) to get a certain color. Its a fleet-exclusive that a dealership has the discretion of selling retail to you. We are no longer probably interested though.

By chance are you seeing where the 202A includes MEMORY, which includes memory of seats, steering wheel, and the (standard) power adjustable pedals?

What are the chances I've clouded the issue?

mossback

2017 Limited EL
Reaction score
Personal preference of course but I liked the feel of the captains chairs over the bench. The contour of the seats seem different. And nice to have dedicated access to the rear bench.

OP
OP
T

theoldwizard1

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Maybe I am reading the ordering guide incorrectly, but I don't think I am.

I interpret that power adjustable pedals are included on all XLT models.

The guide says you get "ALL XL EQUIPMENT PLUS"... interior/comfort bullet #1 is power pedals.

On an XLT with 200A, all 3 rows are cloth. 8 passenger.
You are 100% correct ! My bad !

rjdelp7

2000 XLT
Reaction score
I am pretty sure cooled seats, are integrated into AC system. I had them on a Lincoln MKZ(very nice). Ventilated is just a fan.

JExpedition07

That One Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am pretty sure cooled seats, are integrated into AC system. I had them on a Lincoln MKZ(very nice). Ventilated is just a fan.

Yes the “cooled seats” remove the hot air and project it elsewhere (think refrigerator). The ventilated seats just blow air out under you. Contrary to the sound of it the ventilated seats work very well and in some cases better than cooled seats. Both do the job. GM also switches back and forth between the two often.

cekkk

Full Access Members
Reaction score
A little off topic, but leather looks great, smells good, and is either cold or sticky, depending on the climate you live in. Ventilated seats are a must for me. So when I thought about a smaller SUV and looked at a few, I found the Cadillac SRX was the only one that offered this feature. Looked at a BMW for the first time and was surprised at how spartan it was. The ventilated seat wasn't available in the models I looked at. Seems they are grossly overpriced. That prompted me to look at some of their sedans. I went away thinking a couple of things. They're like Harleys. Only reason to buy one is because you want a HD under your butt. That, or you'd drive a dumpster if it had a BMW insignia on it.

Okay, HD lovers, go for it! :buttkick:

shane_th_ee

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Eh, "ventilated" and "cooled" just means there's a bunch of little holes through which any fluids or fluid-like substances that contact a seating surface will become a permanent part of the vehicle. Like mud, or, with four small children, juice or any of a number of other substances which tend to emanate from their vicinity on long road trips... I'm ok with cooled/ventilated seats in the front row, but I'll take an impervious surface in the other rows, thank you very much.