Somehow I went past the speed limiter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

gijohn45

Reaction score
My 98 would do 104 before the limiting would set in... it has 4.56 gears and 35 inch tires... its all stock other then those.... I had it up to 104 a few times on interstate 80 in Wyoming where its pretty flat and straight....

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Looks like there's not much point to having the limiter removed... I can only get up to about 107mph. I think it's the engine that is too weak to make it go faster because it wasn't hitting the rpm limiter which is what makes most cars keep from going faster.

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually, a good tune will keep you from hitting overdrive at wide open throttle. It may not be that the vehicle itself can't do it.

Darrin

OP
OP
S

smo0othride

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Actually, a good tune will keep you from hitting overdrive at wide open throttle. It may not be that the vehicle itself can't do it.

Darrin

Well as my sig says it does have a custome tune... maybe I'll have to talk to Matt about it.. it's too bad he doesn't visit this forum anymore (probably due to all the bugs the site had/has)

gjhanson2

Full Access Members
Reaction score
3.31 I think, is there any way to check? It was going insanely fast.

Check the sticker on the inside of your driver door, it will have an axel code. Google the code and it will tell you what gears you're running. Mine is H6 so I'm running 3.73:1 Limited slip. H7 is 3.55:1 Limited Slip. I think two other ones are 6 and 7, which are 3.31:1 and 3.55:1 open diffs (respectively), but you may want to double check.

As far as top speed, I know mine is governed to 105. I could take it off with my programmer but I decided to limit it to my tires' speed rating.

Black_Exhaust

Full Access Members
Reaction score
With 99-06 the stock tire sizes and stock 3.73 rear ends, 4th gear would take you to close to 170-190 mph, if it was pushing out enough hp that is. I'm not too sure on what different rear ends would do specifically but a 3.31 rear end would push you to 220ish mph range in fourth given, again, you had the 1500 hp to do that ;) . 225 horse might get one of these Goliaths up to approx. 115mph but I could be wrong.

Expeditions are heavy trucks and I really must emphasize how dangerous it is to exceed the 112mph rated stock tires limits too. Let's not have a thread about how you flipped your Expys trying to push these limits too!

DarrinBC

Full Access Members
Reaction score
Well as my sig says it does have a custome tune... maybe I'll have to talk to Matt about it.. it's too bad he doesn't visit this forum anymore (probably due to all the bugs the site had/has)

I am pretty sure you have a 4R100 in your truck. If so then a shift into OD at WOT won't be a transmission killer.

Darrin